It's official.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My area is now in a severe drought. Guess there's no point in even trying to grow a late garden of any sort...unless it's a cactus or dust garden!

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Can you use gray water? A small area deeply mulched and judiciously watered can produce quite a bit. My veggie space is 4 4x6 beds and a 2 x 20' strip in which are growing squash, 8 or so peppers, 80 tomato plants with beans tucked between and and some volunteer cukes on my trellis. Yes, I'm into intensive! I do water with "fresh" stuff but only 2x a week and, though we've had rain the last week, everything is thriving; mulch is the secret. No grass clippings? I've been mowing and bagging brush trimmings and unfinished compost.

katy

3. Ravenlost

We'd have to have grass to have grass clippings. We have crispy-crunchies instead. :p I think hubby has mowed a total of two times this year and all that was raked up and given to the chickens.

I wish we had grey water. Health department wouldn't allow us to run lines out from the laundry room/kitchen. It all goes into the septic tank. :bash:

4. katydidagain

Do you bathe? :confused: If not, put the stopper in when you shower and siphon the water into a barrel or just water directly. Okay, maybe you'll have to do it under the stealth of night but...

I understand about no grass clippings; my lawn takes all of 10 minutes to mow (yes, I'm still in the city) and it hasn't done much this year. I've been grinding up bush trimmings and weeds; spread deeply enough and monitored the new "seedlings" aren't hard to manage.

katy

5. Ravenlost

LOL...I bathe every Saturday night. ;)

Luckily we have two wells and I have watered when I was home, but while I was gone in the past few weeks helping with my Daddy no watering was done. When I got home hubby had even let the flowers on the front porch die.

I want a wood chipper so bad I think that's what I'll ask Santa for this year. Then I could chip up all our downed limbs, cleared brush, etc. to use as mulch. This year I spent a great deal of time raking up leaves in the woods. Works great, but I hate to see those limbs, etc. go to waste.

6. katydidagain

I hope you know I'm not picking at you; I sense your frustration and realize this has been a rough summer for you but I would really like to help.

I can't start our little chipper but neither can DS. I'm careful but do use the lawn mower to grind up to 3/4" generally aged twigs. (Don't everyone hit me! I can sharpen the blade!) It's amazing how many good weeds grow even in a drought; I have 3 compost bins going where I dumped everything until I had a Eureka! I used to do in place amending and only stopped because H thought it looked "messy". Come to think of it, he didn't like my bins either and never saved peelings, etc., but now that he's gone, I'm become inventively lazy again; why wait for benefits you have to sift and move another time? :D

katy

7. Ravenlost

Not at all Katy! Hubby thinks my compost bin is messy looking too, but decided I could keep it when I put it behind the potting shed and out of sight of the house. I've even managed to get him (and his family when they are visiting) in the habit of putting things in the compost bucket.

Our heat index is 115 today and it was in the high 90s before noon. I expect the heat index to go even higher. Plus, we have no chance of rain any time soon. I can't water enough to save the garden. It's to hot. Heck, I expect my chicken will be laying boiled eggs today! :p

8. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

We've been in a severe drought officially for months now. We are one county away from extreme. I have been canning pickles and freezing squash every week. My tomatoes are producing small numbers. Got some cantaloupes that should come off in a couple of weeks. I have a raised bed garden and LOVE it. I wish my pastures did as well. My poor sheep and cows have been fed hay for the last two months. Nothing but dirt out there.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Say,does anyone know if the Colorado drought is over,they had it really bad too.

BooBoo

10. Ravenlost