Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/us-officially-in-recession-since-last/264172

Looks like we really are in a recession. We were sitting at the table with some friends last night talking about it and Lindsey says, "What exactly is the difference between a recession and a depression?" I replied, "A recession is when you neighbor loses his job, a depression is when you lose yours." The adults all kind of smiled at that.

Around here some jobs are very secure, others are not so great. Cale is laid off, the President of his company said they want him back as soon as they get some work, however right now they have just one job finishing up. He has talked with some of the guys he worked with and they all say there is no work for next spring and they are looking for new jobs. So we will see what happens with that. He always seems to find jobs when he needs them, but for now I am hanging on to every penny.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
yep, we're in a recession and the powers that be are leading us into a depression with bailouts and other programs that won't work. Just wonder if Bush would step up to the plate if he had a couple yrs left in stead of a couple months.
If a person is maxed out and in debt way over their head, more money won't help anyone except the people that bled the system in the first place, you have to let the chips fall and someone will pick them up and start over.
People should be made to stand up to their contracts even if they have to give up 10% of their wages for life.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
My dh works for GM, so our family's future hangs in the balance right now. He's following closely all the bailout talks, etc. Me, I'm just trying to come up with plan B,C,D,E,F, :lookout: so we can be prepared no matter what the outcome of the Big Three is.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My DH works for a tier 1 auto supplier so we are worried too.
We have 3 in college right now so things have been tight all along.
I'm just glad I'm such a tightwad! We don't have far to fall. :)

edited to add "I shouldn't have said that! Now I've gone and done it!"

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wish those auto makers would just fail already. They haven't done anything to show they're willing to improve gas mileage or made any more environmentally friendly than 40 years ago. The combustion engine hasn't had any major upgrades since it was invented. The only people who have been doing any innovation are those who are doing well right now, like Toyota (aka the Prius). Our "home grown" auto-makers have been making SUVs this whole time, and LAUGHABLE "hybrids" that get 20mpg :p Oh, and their workforce? More than 50% out of country (Canada and Mexico). Ironically the Japanese auto-makers have most of THEIR workforce here in the US. Anyone getting this bailout money should be required to tune their cars up so that none of them get under 35mpg.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
My oldest SD works for a corporation in Canada that has the US auto industry as one of its major clients. She says they already have had to lay off some of their employess and probably will have to lay off more. Things are so global these days.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Heard on the local news yesterday that the Bridgestone/Firestone plant here laid off around 140+ workers due to the small car/small truck sales market going down, hence not needing new tires made for them. Their last work day will be Dec 21st.

My DH's work (audio/video installation, etc) has already laid off over half of his department. :(

I think a lot of families will be a tight spots for awhile, or worse. Luckily we're pretty frugal but I'm still feeling the pinch. I feel bad for families who were not (or aren't) so prepared...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
my DH was laid off wed. he worked for a auto parts manufacturer. the company made plastic pieces.
when i heard about the offical "recession" i said DHs layoff must have pushed it over the edge. ha ha.....
my dad is next in line at his company to be laid off.
DH is cutting wood and deer hunting, his positive outlook was "hey i get the whole week to deer hunt!!" its all about priorities:D
he has his buddies keeping an eye out for jobs but what we are hearing is that no one is hireing till the first of the year.
the bail outs are stupid.... give that money that is ours back to us. not the $300 dollar measly amounts but big amounts that pay off morgages!! or buy new vehicals!!
oh well i can dream

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
we've known work was slowing, so no surprise hubby is home this week. they have one job getting ready, then who knows. we'll probably both be looking for jobs by spring if work never picks up. we stopped at McDonalds Thanksgiving morning so we wouldn't be arriving at Dd's house like starving animals, and I noticed all the workers were our age. feel bad for the young kids that used to depend on fast food, but I guess now those jobs are in much bigger demand. and...yes....I do think there will always be people that can, and will, purchase that icky fast food.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I'm glad they finally discovered we were in recession. I thought all the layoffs and foreclosures around here must have been flukes! Kinda' reminds me of the debate on global warming. All the old timers taught us growing up to butcher our pork after the second "cold spell" in November. Although we're actually a little more seasonal this year, for many of the last 20 years, we haven't gotten our first cold weather until December.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Where I work, layoffs started yesterday - I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping I'm not next.

This is a strange and scary time.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
At least they finally admit it. MI has been in a recession much, much longer than that, too.

On the bailouts, I just heard on the radio this morning something interesting. They said that Ford was going to ask for $9 billion to be SET ASIDE in CASE they need it, that they wouldn't be asking for it directly. Also, they are reminding people that these are bridge LOANS, not give-aways. I still don't see how they'll make it if they don't figure out how to become profitable, but the interviewee also said Ford believes they WILL be profitable in North America by 2011 (really, can folks hang on that long?). I didn't hear them talk too much about GM or Chrysler. I just don't know what to believe except I don't want any more of that money to get tossed out like yesterday's garbage. Maybe bankruptcy and reorganization is best. I've heard builders are going to ask for $$, states and local governments, etc., and the list is growing and growing. Where will it end? Or, moreover, HOW will it end?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Around here, it looks like jobs are drying up. Our local paper always runs a section on Tuesdays called "job locator" with a lot of help-wanted listings, covering 3 counties. Last week and again this week, they didn't even have that section. There weren't enough job ads to fill it. It took me almost 6 months just to find a part-time job. I am very grateful for it, and am working hard at it, but in the long run I need to bring in more money just for us to break even. I sure hope things improve some in the coming year.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
If the auto makers get the bailout, i hope the workers will take advantage of it and start prepping because this is just a bandade for a severed juggler vein.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yep, we're in a recession and the powers that be are leading us into a depression with bailouts and other programs that won't work. Just wonder if Bush would step up to the plate if he had a couple yrs left in stead of a couple months.
If a person is maxed out and in debt way over their head, more money won't help anyone except the people that bled the system in the first place, you have to let the chips fall and someone will pick them up and start over.
People should be made to stand up to their contracts even if they have to give up 10% of their wages for life.
Correct. Many don't understand that the government as an entity creates nothing. All money spent by government came from someone's pocket and is simply redistributed. Redistribution (moving money around) never works. Companies usually fail because they produce a product or service nobody wants. Subsidizing products that nobody wants doesn't improve the product and only removes money from taxpayers that could have been spent on products they do want.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I don't know if Bush would step to the plate if he had a couple more years------------He has been at the plate the last eight years and has only been striking out.Things are reported as probably being worse than they are now in six months no matter what is done.We are in deep do do and it is going to hurt all of us.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/us-officially-in-recession-since-last/264172

Looks like we really are in a recession. We were sitting at the table with some friends last night talking about it and Lindsey says, "What exactly is the difference between a recession and a depression?" I replied, "A recession is when you neighbor loses his job, a depression is when you lose yours." The adults all kind of smiled at that.

Around here some jobs are very secure, others are not so great. Cale is laid off, the President of his company said they want him back as soon as they get some work, however right now they have just one job finishing up. He has talked with some of the guys he worked with and they all say there is no work for next spring and they are looking for new jobs. So we will see what happens with that. He always seems to find jobs when he needs them, but for now I am hanging on to every penny.
I was wondering since Cale works temporary jobs if you have medical insurance? If not, what do you do? The reason I asked is we will be losing our medical insurance soon and won't be able to afford to buy it otherwise. Curious how others survive without medical insurance.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's funny that they now say we're in a recession after they have been harping that we cannot be in a recession because we haven't had 2 quarters of negative growth! I think we have been in a recession since 2003 and all the "growth" was smoke & mirrors. I hate all the bailouts, however they threw money at the shirts on Wall St. and don't even know where it went, but they make a big deal of the Big 3 wanting $34 million. The banks got our money & they get to pay no interest on savings and charge usery rates on credit cards and loans. At least GM produces something. You can't be strong without making something, I don't care how many pencil pushers tell you that you can. Of course even our salvation, the "service economy" is in the toilet. This country is in tough shape and with China having it's own troubles, how long will they keep buying our debt?

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was wondering since Cale works temporary jobs if you have medical insurance? If not, what do you do? The reason I asked is we will be losing our medical insurance soon and won't be able to afford to buy it otherwise. Curious how others survive without medical insurance.
Yes we do have insurance. He is in the laborers union, so as long as he has so many hours in certain months he maintains his insurance. I can't remember exactly how many it is, would have to look, but I know he had plenty this year so we will be fine for a while. If his company doesn't have work in the spring, he can try to get on at the power plants. A friend of his said they will have plenty of work this spring and that is all union too and supposed to be a five year job.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
After all the trips to the city & paper work... blah blah.... I've decided to go ahead and cancel my college classes.... I refuse to get student loans, so DH & I were going to make monthly payments straight to the college.... but right now $328 a month "extra" to pay college tuition is a little scary....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts