It's official: My pigs are Weird!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

They don't seem to like any of the normal foods pigs are supposed to love. They don't like most vegie trim, corn cobs, and I just got 2 bales of fresh-cut hay and they mostly play in it! They eat a few bites and then mush it all around and then go sleep in the dirt. Yesterday I gave them the chicken parts--head, feet, offal--and the blood mixed with water so it wouldn't coagulate. All they wanted to do was make bubbles in the water and then tried to wallow in it! :p

They're not happy with their pig feed, just want corn mixed with milk and I can't get much free milk anymore (but can use powdered). After reading Walter's taste test I really want to finish Puerco off with hay, but if he won't eat it.... :help:

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I dunno about taste tests, everyone has an individual taste. If hay finishes them off in a way you would like what would be the difference using grass? Pigs love grass. I bet your two would like it also. As for veggie trim and cobs, if they're not cooked pigs don't like them ordinarily. When they have no choice in the matter and they are hungry, or if they were raised on that, they'll eat them raw. Otherwise cook their veggies and they'll chow down. But mine won't eat corn cobs regardless. the dogs pick them out of the pig bowls and play wth them. Corn and milk fed finsihing also yields fine pork. Really depends on one's taste. Imagining Walter has been raising his own for a while and is used to the subtle differences in flavor. If you have never had homegrown pork, it may be better to go for a more common finish like corn. Just my opinion which is debatable but our neighbors brought us some home raised pork a couple of months ago that I cooked for my son. It was fresh and lean but he didn't care for it (and we've raised pigs for 4 years). I was already vegetarian again and didn't try it. Go for a safe finish. Pork can vary widely -really , really widely- and it would be a shame for you to go through it all and not like the end product. My 2 cents.

3. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

Is he Weird or just unusually smart and knows what your up to :D

4. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

LOL kg!

Marcia, I've never had home-grown pork except for some bacon I buy form someone who raises hers on pasture. It's exceptionally delicious but of course it's cured and smoked. Yours are pasture-fed, right? I wonder what your neighbors feed theirs? I can't get grass, all I have is ~1/2 acre of lawn that I mow every couple of weeks. Since they won't eat the hay I guess it will be corn and feed. It just seems weird that they won't eat hay! Especially since that is what they started out with, being from Walter. I tried to find his taste test post but couldn't. Basically, if I remember right, it was a blind test with a group of people eating feed-fed, corn/dairy-fed, and pasture/hay-fed pork, and vastly preferring the last.

Sure am glad I didn't buy two round bales!!

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

From talking to local farmers apparently Corn is the best thing to feed Pigs to give the meat a sweet taste. Anything homegrown will taste so much better than anything store bought.