It's not Fair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I was looking at my kids and thinking that I should try showing at the fair this year, especially the Moose of a doeling born in April. I got to the computer to see about registration and....They cancelled the Open Boer Goat Show. They still have the 4H Meat Goats but not the Boers. I called a freind and she said that the state wanted additional testing for out of staters (I want to say Borella but don't remember) so they decided to cancel it. Now, I may be wrong but you would think they would wait until the "register by" date to decide if there would be enough entrys to cancel the classes or not.

Well, the fair was getting too big to enjoy much anyway. They took our County fair and made it the NJ State Fair. Then they charged more for this and that.... You know, you have to pay a commission of 25% if you sell any animals there!

I'm gonna try the Gingerbread contest once more....

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

You must be from Jersey. Heres the scoop. The state mandated multiple restrictions on animals crossing into the state (to prevent disease spread- namely Brucilosis). However, they managed to completely kill any chances they had of having an open bohr show because no one from out of state is willing to spend the big bucks it costs to have these tests performed. Over 50% of show entrants in the past were out of staters, Long story short the meat goat association (who holds that show, and who my neighboor is a member of and is how i got some of the low down) decided that with the low turn out (because of the state mandated restrictions) that it just wasnt worth the effort and expense. 4H, which i am a member, for some reason, is exempt from these restrictions. Dont ask me why, I guess its a legal loophole. I didnt hear about ANY commision and I AM selling animals. I know 4 H does a market show, and 95% goes to the kids, only 5% goes to 4H and they use that to fund the market event for the following year and to buy any animals kids dont sell. They want every child to sell and make profits on their year of work, its cool if you have kids (human I mean) Any way, where in Sussex are you?
    I am in Hardyston!

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

The other side of the county... Green. I'm actually closer to Warren county.

When I showed two years ago, they warned us not to make it public if we sell a goat because the Fair wants a percentage. On the art entry, it says right in the rules that something can be sold for a 25% commision. So....

Again, you would think they would wait until the last registration day to decide to cancel since people like me make decisions at the last minute... I always till the last minute... :shrug: