It's just as good . . .

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Thoughthound, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

What have you purchased that's a less expensive knock-off of an original that was just as good as the original?

Yesterday at a St. Pat's gathering, I had a taste of McGuire's Irish Creme. It was just as good as Bailey's at half the price.

Then it occurred to me that "Just as good" would be an excellent thread here.

So please share on everything: food, tools, vehicles, etc. Everyone can benefit.

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea!

My contribution - little bitty O's
    My kids prefer them to Spaghetti-O's and they are only 59 cent per can at Sav-a-Lot.

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

When we first started in canine rescue we realized a) food for a lot of dogs is REALLY expensive and b) some goldens come with an allergy to corn and wheat. We were told to try several very expensive brands of lamb based formulas. I started tearing the labels off the bags to compare them to "off brand" products, and the Costco Kirkland product is pretty much the same food and WAY less money. Since switching we haven't had any food allergy related skin issues, so I'm fine with the product.

4. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Just an example: large combination wrench (larger than 1 1/2") I'll buy a cheapo Chinese-made wrench, because I'll hardly ever use this wrench, and then on something like hydraulic fittings. With the cheapo, i can cut it or heat-and-bend it without remorse, and save my money to buy quality combo wrenches that I'll use every day.

5. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

.*****

Kirkland and Diamond brand are the same. We use the Diamond lamb and rice w/o corn or wheat for our dogs and are very pleased with the results. I pay $20 for a 40 lb bag at TSC.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Most named brand canned veggies arent much better than off brands(MOSTLY).Especially tomato products,I cant tell any difference.

BooBoo

7. Pythia

Pythia Active Member

Heck, I've found that a large portion of our groceries are just as good when no-name brands are picked over name brands. I personally find snack crackers to be top of the list. I've found a lot of generic crackers that are as good (or better) than the expensive stuff.

Exceptions!
    Dill pickles must be Bic's (or Strubs)
    Ketchup must be Heinz
    Whiz must be Cheez

8. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

I have to say it:

Linux is just as good as (if not better than) any MS operating system – and its free!

Sorry, I know its a little off the homesteading topic – but I think it's safe to assume that most here have a computer.

9. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Lots of foods, but not peanut butter!

We bought some REALLY cheap almond and coffee liquer over the holidays. It was lower proof but that was fine and it tasted just as good to me. But I'm afraid I don't remember the brand, and it's not because I drank too much of it, at least I HOPE not, lol.

Baby oil, Sun Detergent, WalMart brand of most every drug and supplement all seem to be just as good as more expensive brands.

Not on topic, QUITE, but dollar stores often have cheap prices on some of the brand name foods and cosmetics, especially Dollar General.

hm

10. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

How about coffee? We buy Hills, Folger's, or MaxwellHouse Columbian. They run around $5.00 for a 3# container. The cheaper brands have an off taste. But the more expensive brands at $6 and more per pound don't seem to have any better taste than the one's mentioned.

11. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy the cheapest detergent/soap/etc that I can and that usually is store brand.

I bought an expensive Hewlitt Packard digital camera and was very disappointed. Now that it broke from one little drop I'm thinking of getting a much less expensive kodak--I saw some pictures from one recently and they were WAY better than my indoor pictures. The flash on the HP really was substandard!!! I thought I was buying quality

I remember once knowing a girl who took the most fantastic pictures with the cheapest kodak camera. She really had a better eye for staging the pictures than I with a much better camera.

Our dog and cats get the least expensive pet food that is supplemented with butcherings and meat leftovers. For thousands of years, folks fed their pets scraps--now that's considered abusive! Sheesh! By the way--they are all healthy. Our pets have always lived long healthy lives--despite what the advertising (which you are paying for btw) would tell you.

12. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

I have a knock off of the Little Giant ladder that you see advertised on infomercials all the time. Mine is made by Werner and is an almoist identical copy of the much more expensive name brand. I have used both and cannot see a bit of difference between the two.

Of course, the Little Giant is made in the US. The Werner is made in China. :(

13. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

Homemade laundry soap cleans just as good as store bought and is way, way cheaper. Ditto with white vinegar for fabric softener.

Baking soap and vinegar with a bit of elbow grease cleans as well as store bought scoring powder.

Homemade dog treats - cheaper and healther than commerical, though I admit I get lazy sometimes and buy dog treats.

Baking soda, perhaps with a bit of essential oil added, makes great carpet fresh and doesn't cause breathing prolems. Also essential oils in a clay diffuser are better than those commerical air fresherners. (Yes, good essential oil is expensive, but it only takes a little and some of them have other benefits as well, such as antibacterial, antifungal, and calming or stimulating effects.)

Homemade chili and homemade spagetti sauce are alway better than canned or jarred commerical junk. Fresh homebrewed iced tea is way beyond those bottles of flavored teas and costs pennies per gallon. (who can drink that stuff? nasty)

14. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

Mens shoes, jeans, and shirts Last long then womens.

Especially the shoes.

15. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

I used Tide detergent for years but the price went up so high that I gave up. I now use X-tra which seems to work just as well and I never pay more than 1.99 for the gallon size jug. I have 2 jugs right now and only use half the amount the last says to use. 2 jugs should last until the firtst of July if I'm careful and don't spill any.

I also wait for Wrangler jeans (men's) to go on sale and then buy 2-3 pair a t a time. They might not be an off brand but they last for ever. And ladies brands do not last as long and seem to always cost more.

16. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

I make homemade Irish cream at about 1/3 the price and it's yummy.

17. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Almost all of the stuff I buy at Aldi is as good as the name brands. I get a big bottle of hot pepper sauce (well, actually, sometimes I buy it by the case) for $.59 for my son... he eats it on everything and the name brands are way more. He also likes the canned spaghetti products (yuck, but he likes it) just as well as the name brands too. I've gotten really good frozen dinners there that I take to work sometimes and the butter is much cheaper there than at the grocery and just as good. The only thing I can remember not liking was the tuna... I just buy a bunch when it's on sale and it seems one brand or another is on sale every week or so.

18. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Canned tomato sauce. If you don't/can't can your own, buy the cheapo stuff, dump in garlic and onions and whatever else. I think it's actually better than the expensive stuff, especially if you get the stuff without added sugar and salt.

19. Lumbering ox

Lumbering ox Member

I only use a small fraction of what they recomend for detergent. If there are any stains I use one of those stain busters.
    It works fine.