Its just a game! Hypothetical Homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, May 1, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Just for kicks lets have fun with a "Hypothetical Homestead"

Lets put it somewhere in the middle(of the US) Iowa or Nebraska. Family of 4...ages around 40 kids are 10 and 12

You just bought 40 acres with a small 10*12 cabin(with woodstove and loft) in need of TLC. You paid cash for the place and have $10,000 left over from sale of your condo.No power, no well etc. But you do have a small stream running through property. The property is a balance of woods and overgrown pasture. Your purchase was made in late Oct. you wont be moving until May.

Its fairly remote so electric grid is out. Nearest shopping is 1hr away.

What tools are you gonna bring?
    What are you going to plant? How much?
    What animals might you bring?
    How heavily will you rely on hunting/fishing/gathering?
    Whats in your medicine chest?
    Power source? Or not? Or eventually?
    How might you make money?

Have fun with it.....
    :)

2. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

1 hour away from shopping?? uhhh I would sooo not make it. My dh would have to go it alone. LOL :)

3. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Since we are using our imagination....

Stop to consider what it was like for the early settlers who left the comforts of the East Coast and struck out for who knows where. Only thing they knew was that their life would depend on how accurate they were on what they would need.

It's daunting, isn't it? What courage they had!

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Well first I would spin in circles with delight for a while, lol.

I would live in the cabin, it's there, and why not use it? If I had water rights, I'd install a Cinva ram in the stream for water useage.

What tools are you gonna bring?

Woodcutting/splitting tools, Coleman lanterns, cast iron cookware, small generator for recharging batteries on cordless power tools, that's what I use now. Wringer washer, camping coffeepot, shovels, etc. for gardening, pots for seed starting, fencing supplies.

What are you going to plant? How much?

I think I would spend part of my money on a greenhouse with a loft to live on/in, so that you could get a jump on growing, and/or grow in the winter. You could also keep animals in it. It's colder and shorter of season than I'm accustomed to in the places that you mentioned.

What animals might you bring?

I go nowhere without my chickens, lol, and I might take a pair of rabbits and some honeybees.

How heavily will you rely on hunting/fishing/gathering?
    Don't know how to hunt, but I would fish, and gather some, are there berries and things?

Whats in your medicine chest?

If we are an hour away from civilization, this would need to be pretty comprehensive, wouldn't it? The basics, plus what you would need for sprains, stabilizing breaks if necessary, good supplies of whatever otc things we used, we don't use many.

Power source? Or not? Or eventually?

Eventually I would want some, solar? Or would the stream be large enough to harness, enough drop that is?

How might you make money?

It might work to do a pick your own place, with picnic grounds and the like. If the nearest shopping was a city, then you could offer people a place to go on a weekend, an hour drive is no biggie, I drive more than that to get to work!

hollym

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't purchase a place that I couldn't hook into the electric grid. :D I needs me my computer! :D That said....

if it HAD electric, I'd use about $3000 to put up fencing - a perimeter fence around the house (less than and dog runs for individaul confinement because I've got boys who don't get along and will need secure outdoor housing because that many dogs in a 10x12 space will get someone turned into a pair of slippers+ fenced areas for poultry and goats to freerange)

$200 on chickens and ducks to free range, $25 for a LGD puppy from my (now) neighbor who could be started with her stock and then put out with my chickens and goats when I get there.

$300 or so for some goats for milk & meat

$50 for some NZWs + cage

$500 for garden tools and someone to till the garden the first year OR wood for raised beds and some fill dirt if I'm too lazy to dig and haul it myself (I will be)

$400 or so for plants. ots and lots of plants. I know everyone likes seeds, but I can't get ANYTHING to grow from seeds except flowers.

$50 for plastic for itty bitty greenhouse built as leanto on big house; $50 for starts for ornamentals for cut flower & herb sales.

$150 to pay 3 years in advance on my website hosting cause I don't know when I'll next afford it and will want to sell things through the site.

HOw much do I have left? :D

Cait

6. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice Hypothetical Homestead...however, first of all forget the "stream". In Iowa or Nebraska it will be so polluted with farm chemicals as to be toxic. Ditto a shallow well. If you get out into the panhandle of NE in a remote ranching area, you might maybe consider using a stream or a shallow well. Also, you don't even want to know what an acre of farmland goes for around here! Forty acres would be snapped up at a premium price by the neighbor who farms 1000 acres. You can buy an acreage of 1 to 3 acres where that neighbor buys farm land and sells off the homestead site but 40 acres unlikely. The smaller the acreage the larger the price. Also, to get an hour from shopping would be difficult in Iowa and eastern Nebraska. Western NE you could probably manage that. Of course, when you get that far west in NE you have to irrigate to grow anything and water rights become a big issue. On the other hand almost any place in Iowa has great soil, good growing season and no need to irrigate. Timber and pasture land you're talking Southern Iowa or Northern Missouri. But don't let me ruin your day...I'm enjoying your dreams.

7. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Well, since I'm an Iowan, I'd have to get a hog or two, simply for clearing land and the eating. Hogs will take care of just about anything you put in their way, which would save the cost of rototilling, and they do a great job of fertilizing too. :) Hmm, other than that, yeah honey, flowers, maybe some goats for making soaps and lotions, and providing milk for the family. I like this game, it's fun,a nd it's distracting me from studying for finals at my midwestern, ag program, land- grant college!

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The water thing is a problem....I am so used to water and streams everywhere here in Maine.

Good answers from everyone.

I think I'd like to learn how to use livestock meds better for not just the livestock if necessary before I ventured off!

I think I'd try opening a summer camp for homestead wannabees. As well as possibly marketing vegies. I'd also plant an nice orchard.

Farm animals....goats, chickens, geese and ducks. I'd fence the garden and free range the rest.

I'd buy a used camper trailer($3000) too and add on an entry room and install a woodstove for heating and cooking. The cabin would be a barn.