It's gonna be cold here in North Florida!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SandyB, Dec 8, 2006.

1. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

We seldom get in the 20's here and tonight it's supposed to be mid to lower 20's!! I know to most this is nothing but man how do you stand it!! :shrug: My feet are cold and for some reason since gettting pregnant I get cold a lot easier than before!! My poor hubby (from Mass.) is freezing!!! I would think he could handle the cold but he says "that's why I moved to Florida, I hate cold and moving snow!" :p The heater is cranking, we seldom use the thing during most winters except very cold nights!!

We did make sure all the animals had extra food well before dark so they could hunker down. Added pine straw to "Big Momma's" house,. that's our hog!! We also put up tarps on the open end of the chicken house and added a light!!! Yes I know but try and tell hubby they don't need lights!!! He likes to baby "his" ladies!!!

Ya'll keep warm!

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I know how you feel. I'm in north central Florida, relocated from southeastern central Florida, and the weather here is at least 20 degrees colder than in Manatee county. It's not supposed to be this cold! It's going to get close to freezing tonight. All the critters had to be protected from the wind so they wouldn't suffer and got extra feed so they'll hold their body heat.

I'm used to 70 and 80 degree weather during the holidays. I had to get decked out in my long johns today to go to work! :help: Thanks sidepasser for asking the northern folks to close the door but I think some of them didn't see her post and left the door to the south open. :p

Welcome to the forums Sandy. I'm sure you'll find this place comfortable if not a bit addictive. This is a nice place to be on a cold night after all the chores have been taken care of and the dishes have been washed. :)

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well here in the southern most p[oint of the Continental United states its going to hit the low 40 degree range tonite. And thats cold for here. Remember to keep warm. I Am wearing My quilted hunting shirt. I have NO heat in the house .Don't want it don't need it. the same for A/C .

4. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Grandfatherbear spent January of 1972 studying Russian history in Moscow, latvia, and the Baltic sea area. He said that it reached 40 below there, but he was never as cold as he was when he spent the winter of 1970--71 on a houseboat on the upper St Johns River. Florida cold is DAMP. Damp, wet cold, the worst kind.
    BTW when I was writing inservices on hypo and hyperthermia, I came up with an interesting fact- I believe it was from the Merck manual, not entirely sure ten years out- but Florida had more hypothermia deaths each year than Minnesota! Partially, I believe, because people don't expect it to be dangerously cold in Florida- and don't dress for it. (If I see ONE more ad for "warm" cotton clothing I shall BARF!) Add humidity much higher than you Northerners usually see (even in the depths of winter) - well, bad combo.
    Couple of years ago my Boy Scouts were doing their annual MLK weekend backpacking trip- 35 miles from Lorida to River Ranch and vice versa- and we ran into a long distance trail hiker from the North who came to Florida to get a little hiking in on the Florida Trail- he had COTTON T shirts, lightweight hiking shorts, and a lightweight sleeping bag. He was very aggravated that the low temperatures for that weekend were scheduled to be in the 20's to 30's. he kept repeating "But this is Florida!"
    Well duh, Florida gets cold too - and it snows here every 50 years or so! In fact, the 1977 snow reached to the Bahamas.!
    Anyway, everybody cuddle up and stay warm, eat and drink, put on a cap if your feet get cold- and SMILE and think how much you wished for these days when you were sweltering in the summer heat!

5. Scott in Florida Panhandl

Scott in Florida Panhandl Well-Known Member

Well here in Panama City on the Gulf of Mexico, it's 28 and the wind is still blowing!

6. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

Well, here, 30 miles south of Tallahassee and on the coast, it's currently 26 degrees and expected to get colder. Bleah! We finally broke down and turned on the heater tonight. The cats are *real* happy. Come to think of it, we humans are real happy about the heater, too.

And please, those of you in much colder climates, realize that 26 degrees is pretty darned cold for us warm weather peeps...don't make too much fun of us. :) I certainly sympathize with y'all when the weather gets super cold for you...I wonder how you deal with it and admire you for your good humor while you do deal with it.

Everybody stay warm!

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an outdoor pipe not fit for this temp (got to 18 or so- 25 now on my porch) had to leave dripping all night. It's inside the concrete blocks holding up my porch (10 feet above grade there) and then 3 more feet to top railing of fence- was pretty nervous when I saw it no longer dripping this am above a 2 foot high stalacmite of ice. Boiling water on the above porch part and got it dripping again WHEW have to put that on my calendar of things NOT TO FORGET. Hope it gets above 30 soon to save my water.

8. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

It didn't get as low as they thought but it still is cold!! At 9:00 its 40 and highs in the 50s., Should be a good day!

Grandmotherbear you are right about it being a damp cold! My uncle married a girl from Wescon. and when they came down to visit we were running around in a long sleeve shirt and her kids our age was freezing with their big jackets on. And they said we have a damp cold never really thought about but it does get damp feeling! We are about a block from a creek and less than half a mile from St. Johns River!!

Hubby's ladies are fine!! Eating just about all the food over night and already laid a half dozen eggs so I guess he treated them just fine!!!

Fla Girls thanks for the welcome!!

Stay warm!!!!!

9. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

At 5:30 am this morning it was 14 degrees on my back porch. I live in Eastern, SC

10. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

And here I'm kind of annoyed that we're going to be getting a warm spell next week. :rolleyes: I'd like to see some snow on the ground to even out all the frozen ruts, so my poor horses can actually walk and not tippytoe. But no, we'll be back to mud up to the eyeballs.

As to how we deal with the cold - we dress for it. As someone said - cotton is useless! Polar fleece has got to be one of the greatest inventions. Polar fleece vests, heavy wool sweaters, hats, scarves, gloves - windproof coat, two pairs of socks in big felt-lined boots.

I used to jog Standardbred horses and in the winter, I looked like the Michelin Tire man! Snowmobile mitts - with gloves underneath, ski pants, down jacket, balaclava under my helmet. . . it was still cold! When the windchill is down below 0 F and your horse is doing another 15-20 miles an hour - sometimes we'd come in with our eyelashes frozen together, and all the horses were gray, from the frozen moisture in their breath condensing on their coats.

Anyway, sorry you're feeling the cold down there. Of course, if I came down to Florida in summer-time, I'd be whining about the heat and you could laugh at me! :p I don't know how you stand the heat.