It's getting close...

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by thequeensblessing, Dec 14, 2006.

1. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

Janie, my pregnant Pyr, is acting very clingy and wants constant attention. She's been moved into a box stall in the barn to whelp. She is stringing mucous from her vulva but there's been no nesting behavior yet. I think her temp has finally dropped, but I've been amazed at how erratic her temps have been throughout this pregnancy. Does that happen very often? I was under the impression that the temp would remain high until shortly before whelping, when it would drop to the 98 to 99 degree range. But she just doesn't seem to work that way. :shrug: She gets very vocal and sad when I leave the barn. I think she wants me to sleep there with her. :rolleyes:

I'll let you all know when the happy event occurs. From our calculations based on observed breeding, we figure her due date to be Friday or Saturday, depending on which breeding took. (or both) :)

2. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

I think the next dog I get will be a pyr. I saw another ladies post and fell in love with them. I wont get one until I have moved to the country first. But please post pics of them when they get here.
    susie

3. dragonfly1113

4. thequeensblessing

Janie has had 3 males and 3 females as of this posting. She is tired, but seems very pleased with herself! The babies are all beautiful! I'll post some pics when I can.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Makes me wish I had 250.00. Actually, 500.00. I'd want two! But I don't have the $$.... Maybe your next litter! I bet they're cute. I still wanna see pics!

6. thequeensblessing

Final tally is 10 pups. She had 7 and then a long rest period. We went to bed at 2 am, exausted. sometime during the night, she had the other 3. She left the heated, bedded part of the barn, and scratched up the shavings off the floor, and whelped these last three pups on the bare barn floor. She cleaned them all up nicely and then went back to the rest of the pups in the heated area and proceeded to let the other three new ones die on the cold barn floor.
    :( I could have kicked myself this morning. I thought she was all done or I would have stayed with her and not gone to bed.
    Anyway, we have seven healthy, suckling puppies, and momma and babies are all well and basking in the heat lamp.
    I think all the females are spoken for and we have only males left. I'll try to post pics today.

7. dragonfly1113

What town do u live in?

8. thequeensblessing

We live in Winchester Ohio, about a half hour north of Maysville Ky, and an hour east of Cincinnati.

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Congrats on the puppies, sorry about the three that died. Good Luck with the rest. Bye.

10. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Too late now but that happened to me..I simply picked up the puppy and rubbed and really rubbed hard with a towel causing blood to circulate then I did a swoop with the puppy...the pup started breathing. If they're cold..they can have slowed body reaction and still be alive. Don't feel bad...next time the dog will be a better mother...

11. dragonfly1113

Yea, I have saved a cold puppy before. It was the first one and it was snowing and she had it in the snow instead of the shelter she was suppose to have them in. I found it and rushed it inside, used a towel to rub it and put an electric heating pad under some towels and let it lay on that while I rubbed it and then when it started stirring a little I gave it some sugar water. Within a hour I took it back to mama and put it in with the others and she took it just fine. I did this a lot with baby chicks too when mama just left em.

12. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

I have never had a dog that had puppies so forgive me if this seems uneducated because I am. Is it possible that the mother knew she could only care for 7 puppies and chose to purposely have the last 3 elsewhere in an effort to save the rest?

13. dragonfly1113

Could be or she just got tired and hot while giving birth. It sounded like she took a while to have them all. She could have just gotten too hot. who knows. We had a dog once that just had her first puppy in the snow and then had the rest in a building. i thought at first maybe the puppy had something wrong with it and she knew it but after I saved it, it was fine. Had another dog that hated one of her pups. I had to force her to feed it. She would try to attack it for no reason so I would hold her so the puppy could eat. She finally accepted it but it ended up having major problems. skull didnt close up right and ended up with water on the brain, then seizures. Had to put the little guy to sleep.

14. thequeensblessing

Janie and her new family. This is at 2 days old.[​IMG][/IMG]

Here's another view.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I'll post pics of the pups as they get to be a little older. Right now they all look like blind, fat little hairy eels or something. :rolleyes:

15. dragonfly1113

I want one soooo bad but I dont live in the country yet.