It's dang cold in Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

This morning in Fairbanks and Anchorage, Alaska, low temps in the mid-50s. This morning in Emily, Minnesota: 39 freekin' degrees for a low!!! Ripe tomatoes are not in our future this year. What can we do to increase global warming?

Cabin Fever@Wulf Care 'n More

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Oy vey!!! :eek: It was 52 on our thermometer this morning at 5:00 and 62 in the house. We closed down some windows and I'm wearing a light jacket!

Is good sleeping weather with the blankies pulled up to our noses though! :)

DH bought me an A/C for my sewing room upstairs and I wonder if I'll need it this year! A few days ago, it was unbearably HOT (stiffling) up there and today, it could use a blast of heat! :D

3. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Supposed to be 64 degrees here on the gulf coast Saturday morning. Going to be a welcome relief from the heat we have been having.

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

It's supposed to be in the 40's tonight here in Upstate NY. I have tons of green tomatoes too!

Stacy in NY

5. Bama-Mama

Bama-Mama New Member

My goodness, that is cold!! Can you throw a blanket over your tomatoes or perhaps dig a couple up and take them in the house? I will be thinking of you all and sending you "warm" thoughts!

Bama

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

It was the cool summers that brought me to Northern Minnesota. I don't garden anyway so there is no loss of veggies.

7. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

finally cool here also. After a few weeks of hot :)

8. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

40 degrees here in Bruno this morning. I need to bring more kittens in the house to sleep with! But I'll take it over nights when the low is 80 any day.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I was draping wet towels over the chicken coop yesterday to try to keep my chickies within reasonable temps. Forcast 105 today. We could definitely use some of that coolth! Neighbors on both sides reroofing their houses. They have to knock it off in the middle of the day, work early and late. Still miserable hot. I didn't want to turn the stove on for ice tea, so I put a jar of water with tea bags on the front porch. Couple hours later it was too hot to touch!

10. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

Man that is some cool weather up north, I live in south Georgia it was 98 yesterday with 115 heat index. Nothing worse than dog days in Georgia.

11. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I remember as a boy picking Blackberries for my Grandmother in Kentucky. She would can them, make preserves, or jelly from them on her wood cook stove in the kitchen. I don't know how she stood the heat of the hot Kentucky summers and the heat of the stove.

Here in Northern Minnesota my wife cooks all of our meals on her wood cook stove, and it never sems to be very hot in the house. On mornings like this morning, it really feels good to have the stove to back up to.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Ain't it great? Autumn is my favorite season and I"m starting to think it's coming early this year. This is the second week this summer we've had highs in the upper 70s/low 80s here in MS. I'm loving it! Now, if the humidity would just drop a little bit...

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

37 degrees again this morning here at Wolf Cairn Moor; ya gotta love it.

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Mornin' Haggis, here at the Wulf Care 'n More we had a heat wave this morning. The low was only 41F. You have a good weekend, neighbor!

15. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

It's cold here in Buffalo Lake too (west central). My puppy hasnt learned the sleeping at the foot of my bed thing yet either, he gives off lots of heat though. It was nice loading, unloading, and stacking 86 bales yesterday though. Maybe its because my dad bought a diesel jetta, and traded in his sport trac, now global warming will never happen... :) It was hot earlier this year, but the last several weeks have been really cold. My tomatoes/cucumbers havent grown much, I transplanted seedlings from walmart at the end of may, they are about 1' high with only a few green tomatoes. The corn/sunflowers shot up, about 3' high, and havent moved for a while. I dont think the potatoes will grow too much more above ground, so its hard to say how they are doing. We keep getting rain too, it seems like a few nights a week it thunders. Plus all that rain we had in spring. Ohwell, I guess its just part of MN...

16. handy

handy Member

This has been the most wonderful summer in recent memory. I love the cool mornings and the lack of some of the bugs. Hey Cabin, been up here lately? Handy.

17. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

pcdreams(howdy neighbor), I'm down here in Branson and it was 52 degrees when I got up this morning. Right now my desktop weather reads 56 degrees. Just 2 days our heat index was 104. WHEW! This is a nice change. But like the rest of you, I wonder what winter is going to have in store for us.
    Have a great day everyone! :D

18. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I'm about ready to pull out the long johns here in Wisconsin----------man my joints hurt!

19. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

DogMom I know what you mean Normal around here for High is 91.I realy don't think we will have an early Winter,if anything I think it will be warm.

But with the Cooler Temps my Garden is doing Great this year.

big rockpile

20. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

So much for the weather report! It never got anywhere near 105 yesterday. And boy was I ever glad! Today it is coooool and sprinkly. Even turned the ac off. I do not mind weather like this. No, not at all.