Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rabbitosis, that is ... I just infected a friend of mine.

She fell in love with the pelts on my Rex rabbits and her DH announced he really liked rabbit to eat and thought rabbits would be a great idea.

Found some and made the trip to pick up four seniors from a breeder ... two does and two bucks.

Like to guess how many we came back with?????

Her first five cages are already full, a third senior doe, already bred was added to the seniors and I think she's got the other two does bred now too.

The five juniors are currently residing in my extra cages while she is frantically building more!!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
611 Posts
yay!!

Its always that way, you can never keep cages empty!! It is offle hard!

I hope the rabbits were a good choice with her! She will like them, im sure!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Oh you guys are so bad, BAD BAD BAD!!! SFM everywhere I've read says to go slow, two does and a buck. And isn't the purpose of this forum to make a profit with raising rabbits.

You others should have encouraged SFM to sell pelts and meat to her friend.

I am so jealous she has a friend so close interested in rabbits. All mine here think I'm a tad loo-loo or mean when I suggest eating them or mention how nice of a trim the fur would make.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh you guys are so bad, BAD BAD BAD!!! SFM everywhere I've read says to go slow, two does and a buck. And isn't the purpose of this forum to make a profit with raising rabbits.

You others should have encouraged SFM to sell pelts and meat to her friend.

I am so jealous she has a friend so close interested in rabbits. All mine here think I'm a tad loo-loo or mean when I suggest eating them or mention how nice of a trim the fur would make.
Well ... two does and a buck was what we started out thinking! LOL

But then there was this other buck (and I could use an outcross buck on some of my does) ... and then another black otter doe (and Lana just LOVES the otters) ... and then there were all these juniors with different colors and she could get this color or that color that would work really well with ...

... and you can take it from there!

And at this point, I am actually not producing more meat rabbits than we can use ourselves plus a few for "gifts/trade" ... and I've got a few ideas on things to do with pelts that I'd like to try as well.

I'm kind of hoping I can convince her that showing rabbits would be fun but so far not much luck ... she says showing anything she can't ride into an arena just seems wrong!

·
Registered
964 Posts
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=285276

Have her see the above thread. It has a link to jumping rabbits. My daughter is horse goo-goo. Tell her also the entry fees for rabbit shows. There is a big difference in price.

How many are you feeding at home SFM? I'm trying to figure how much rabbit meat would be consumed by 6 adults and 3 teens? The children love curried chicken so I'm thinking curried rabbit and they won't know the difference.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Lana has three in her family, all of whom are both big eaters and big meat eaters and is thinking two rabbits per meal.
CRUD, that's a lot of meat!!!!

I think a lot of it will depend on "how" you cook ... I do a lot of soups, stews and other one-dish meals that don't really call for a lot of meat ... not too many more traditional meat-potato-vegetable meals. Lana's DH is one of those "I'll eat soup/stew/casserole but I've got to have a big serving of meat to go with it".
I guess it's a good thing they want to raise meat rabbits--their food budget probably needs it! For our family of seven (3 sons over 6' tall and two more who eat at least as much as I do), I typically put about 1/2lb of meat in a dish for the entire family, no more than 1.5lb. I fill them up on bread (made with fresh-ground wheat), pasta, rice, beans, etc. Meals that involve a lot of meat, such as hamburgers, fried chicken, roasts, etc. are a special treat, usually reserved for the rare occasions when we go out to eat. My family is DEFINITELY looking forward to having rabbit meat!

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
We used to eat rabbit 3 times a week. Even if you love it as we did, that is about as much as you would want it..........Yep, If those rabbits raise decent size litters you better get a couple of major size pens to grow them out. :D

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CRUD, that's a lot of meat!!!!

I guess it's a good thing they want to raise meat rabbits--their food budget probably needs it!
They do a lot of hunting and raise a big garden as well, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. But yes, much more than DH and I eat. But have to say I remember cooking for hay crews at the ranch ... we would have 2 or 3 high school boys stacking, plus myself and my parents ... and we would typically fry two chickens for one meal.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, If those rabbits raise decent size litters you better get a couple of major size pens to grow them out. :D
Definitely ... that is what she's doing this week! One more set of 5 for the juniors and another set the same length only divided into just 3 for grow out pens.

And I'm putting together another set for growout pens as well. I did fine last spring/summer with what I had but I kept four of my young does, one young buck and bought a breeding trio for tri-colors.

Oops! there went my grow out pens! :shrug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts