It's cold in Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by The_Colonel, Mar 8, 2017.

1. The_Colonel

The_Colonel Member

Hello,

I recently found this forum and am looking forward to learning a lot and being a productive member here.

I'm a 32 year old disabled veteran that lives on a mountain in Pennsylvania.

A vast majority of my life has been geared toward learning skills to better myself and live a more self sustaining lifestyle.

I currently have a modest 2.5 acres that I have plans on being able to "retire" on sometime before my 40th birthday.

I know it seems like a tremendous goal, but we all have to have some goals in life.

I am in the process of having a 4 Kilowatt PV system installed on my Southern facing roof.

My goal is to eliminate every recurring bill possible in the next eight years so I can survive on what I produce on my own land.

Throughout my time here I will surely be picking your brains. I hope I can be of as much assistance as I am sure many of you will be to me.:thecheat:

MainehomesteadR likes this.
  2. saarlandtn

saarlandtn Member

No shortage of mountains in PA. Scranton was my second home.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Tis a lofty goal for a small plot of ground indeed! Unless of course you are building an auto mechanic shop or some other type of repair/manufacturing business on your land. Of course there are folks like me who have more land but are unable to use it due to required water and equipment needed. So, I say, go for it! Treat your brain like the sponge it is and develop multiple income streams that will support all your habits for happiness...like heat, light, water, food.

4. MainehomesteadR

MainehomesteadR Active Member

It can be done even with a small plot of land!! Especially if property taxes are low ;) I'm in Maine and have barely 3 acres. But will be pretty much self sufficient within 10 years if all things work out as planned. LOL

5. Shin

Shin Well-Known Member

Hello from just outside the electric city! :D

6. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I'm in far north eastern Pa. Pa is a great place for homesteading and farming. Lots of rain, plenty of sunshine, and not too hot. I'd say with proper management you can be very self sufficient on small acreage. We have 23 acres and use less than 2 for our market farming venture producing huge abundance. Good luck!

7. Steve in PA

Steve in PA Plotting My Escape

Welcome. I've been looking for more acres for a very long time. Gas drilling and people fleeing NJ have made land here almost too expensive. I was looking at GIS plots in the county database and was amazed how many vacant 5 and 10 acre lots are owned by out of state LLP's.

8. Bungiex88

Bungiex88 Well-Known Member

What county of PA are you in

9. The_Colonel

The_Colonel Member

saarlandtn - I am familiar with that area. Not only do I have family down there, but I also went to college down in that area and have a rental property in Kingston. With that said, I'm glad I got out!

sisterpine - I am not currently looking to open any kind of business (maybe a roadside fruit stand in the future?) on my property. This might change, but after I eliminate all the bills possible, I should be able to live on the other streams of revenue that I currently have.

MainehomesteadR - Thank you for the positive words of motivation (Apparently text formatting on this site no longer likes me, I can't make this bold go away) I have been sitting down and pouring over books on homesteading, reading articles about optimizing layouts for convenience and ease of labor. I got a copy of "The Have More Plan" and am finding it fairly informative for someone with a smaller acreage to work with. As well as having most of the people that I talk to about serious homesteading, and have large acreage, tell me that most of the things that they NEED to live are all on about 1-2 acres. I think it's a realistic goal. And my property taxes are fairly laughable here.

Shin - Hello back (formatting strikes again, now sans color too). I don't miss much from down in your neck of the woods, but I do like the Iron Furnaces and Nay Aug Park in winter.

stanb999 - I've found out that I have also won the wind lottery. A windmill to compliment the solar array might just be in my future. I'm glad to hear there is one more person that managed to make my goal a reality. It's nice to see that it's a legitimate possibility.

Steve in PA - Like you, I am also plotting my escape (from the craziness of the day to day rat race of working my tail off) **Hopefully I'll be able to escape the craziness that is formatting on this page (O_O)**
    I actually just found out about a 28 acre plot of land that went up at a free and clear sale for $500.00 just down the road from me. The new owners signed a gas pipeline contract and got their money back over and over and over again.

Bungiex88 - (Now I can't turn off italics either..... The weird continues!) I am in Sullivan County

10. Shin

Shin Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the Iron Furnaces yet. I will have to, thanks for mentioning them. But I did enjoy taking a lot of photos of McDade and touring the mine.

Only been out here for less than 2 years!

11. MainehomesteadR

MainehomesteadR Active Member

I have a 10 year plan--- with fruit orchard and perennial veggies like asparagus at the forefront. Chickens being the gateway drug-- I already have those ;) and pigeons, which are able to raise/feed their own young year round-- once I get a big enough flock to turn them out to forage for their own food (and allow for predation losses) they will probably become my primary animal protein. with a pair of dairy goats and maybe pot belly pigs , I think all will be well here in future.