Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Labor Day is one of my favorite holidays because it is chowder weekend in several small communities around here. I think they are ran by local fire depts. to raise funds. I picked up my annual 2 gallons at 8:00 this morning. They used to put wild game in it but the government put the kabosh on that so now the meat is primarily beef with some chicken and pork. They also used to stir it constantly with wooden boat oars as it cooked in the large vats but now they have metal stirrers ran by an overhead chain. Best vegetable beef concoction I ever ate. Wish I could make it at home and have tried but it isn't nearly as good. The constant stirring completely shreds the meat so every bite is a mouthful of beefy vegetable goodness.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Oh, that sounds so good!

Reactions: Tricky Grama

·
Registered
31,223 Posts
I don't know where you are Poppy. I am wondering what you are calling chowder is what I call Brunswick stew. Its main ingredients are smoked meats, a way to use leftover BBQ.

It has cream style corn, baby Lima beans, onions and tomatoes, and whatever else one might want to throw in.

To me chowder is fish and seafood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts