Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a discussion with a guy I know. We were discussing how prices are going up for everything and how some things are difficult to find. We discussed the price of gasoline and diesel fuel, groceries and, most important to him, cigarettes.

I suggested it might be prudent to have a few things on hand in the event it becomes just about impossible to get some things. He told me he has 2-3 days of food stashed away. I told him that was a good start but that maybe he should think long term. He thought I meant like maybe a week.

I started telling him how he might want to think in months, not days. I told him I've heard some people claim there are hard times coming. Didn't want to get to detailed. Here we go. He told me "The government wouldn't let that happen".

He went on to tell me that "those idiots" that are stockpiling, are the reason for the shortages and high prices.

I very briefly considered a response. But then I remembered this guy being a big supporter of Bernie Sanders.

I told him I had to run some errands real quick. Told him to take care and I would see him later.

You have to choose your battles.

So there you go, all you preppers. It's all your fault. I hope you're proud of yourself.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
The idiots he referred to as stockpiling and the cause of all of the shortages aren't the same people that prep.
When the parking lots are jammed up full of shoppers for bread and milk and toilet paper and generators and water pumps, I am home. When the air raid sirens go off, I'll be home.

If he hasn't dry and canned goods set aside, he can have a dozen freezers full of waxy box grocery store processed pizzas and they will still only last 2-3 days when the power goes out.

·
newfieannie
10,866 Posts
we're just fighting a losing battle trying to talk to some of them. i stopped that long ago. we have a storm coming friday night and i've been out today stocking up a bit. i didn't need a lot but i did get a bit extra. our power will most likely go out although i'm in the city and it's never out long. my son is out in the country.

last hurricane he was in with me and i was glad to have him not only for the company but the fence fell down that night and he always has his saw and whatnot with him so next day he made short work of that. i do have another section but it may not fall because he has a 2x4 nailed from the shed to that part. i still hope he decides to sleep over on friday though .i stocked up on chips,bars,pizza and whatnot just in case. stuff that i never eat but he does. some people are saying it's going to be just as bad as juan. i hope not. ~Georgia

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
i still hope he decides to sleep over on friday though .i stocked up on chips,bars,pizza and whatnot just in case. stuff that i never eat but he does. some people are saying it's going to be just as bad as juan. i hope not. ~Georgia
Good luck with the storm Georgia... I hope and pray you fair well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The idiots he referred to as stockpiling and the cause of all of the shortages aren't the same people that prep.
When the parking lots are jammed up full of shoppers for bread and milk and toilet paper and generators and water pumps, I am home. When the air raid sirens go off, I'll be home.

If he hasn't dry and canned goods set aside, he can have a dozen freezers full of waxy box grocery store processed pizzas and they will still only last 2-3 days when the power goes out.
Ya mean the 542 Big Macs I have stocked the freezer with are going to spoil?

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Ya mean the 542 Big Macs I have stocked the freezer with are going to spoil?
My husband actually grew up with a kid whose mom would do this. She would freeze 5 MacDonald's burgers so the kid could thaw them for dinner because she was at work.

Georgia good luck with the storm.

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
He went on to tell me that "those idiots" that are stockpiling, are the reason for the shortages and high prices.
Considering the tiny percentage of people that actually stockpile any food for an emergency (as evidenced by him thinking it’s a crazy idea), if stockpiled proper food is able to have any effect on the food supply chain, at all, then we’re obviously way worse off than we all thought.

I very briefly considered a response. But then I remembered this guy being a big supporter of Bernie Sanders.
The Chinese have showcased their first digital Yuan, and it incorporates an expiration date. Marxists don’t believe it’s ethical to put anything by. You should spend what they give you, when they give it to you, and food should go from your hand to your mouth as soon as they put it in our hand.

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
165 Posts
Considering the tiny percentage of people that actually stockpile any food for an emergency (as evidenced by him thinking it’s a crazy idea), if stockpiled proper food is able to have any effect on the food supply chain, at all, then we’re obviously way worse off than we all thought.

The Chinese have showcased their first digital Yuan, and it incorporates an expiration date. Marxists don’t believe it’s ethical to put anything by. You should spend what they give you, when they give it to you, and food should go from your hand to your mouth as soon as they put it in our hand.
God help us all if we go that route. Sounds like gift cards that expire. If you don't use them in x time, the issuer just keeps the money. Seems fair.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I posted some time ago about the Worgl experiment in Austria during the depression of the early 1930s. A state printed its own currency that forced the possessor to spend it within a short time period, otherwise they would have to have it stamped. Each stamping devalued the money. The experiment, however you look at it, actually succeeded in lowering inflation, and unemployment. The Austrian Central Bank shut it down of course.
I'm no fan for a few reasons, just speaking to the single instance.
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Oh gosh. And I was going to say it is all his fault because he and his ilk voted in the crew we have running the country right now. But you know what they say about wrestling with a pig, so I would just give it a pass and walk away.

I'll be fine and he'll be fine because when his one day supply of water runs out his government will swoop down and provide him with everything he needs.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
we're just fighting a losing battle trying to talk to some of them. i stopped that long ago. we have a storm coming friday night and i've been out today stocking up a bit. i didn't need a lot but i did get a bit extra. our power will most likely go out although i'm in the city and it's never out long. my son is out in the country.

last hurricane he was in with me and i was glad to have him not only for the company but the fence fell down that night and he always has his saw and whatnot with him so next day he made short work of that. i do have another section but it may not fall because he has a 2x4 nailed from the shed to that part. i still hope he decides to sleep over on friday though .i stocked up on chips,bars,pizza and whatnot just in case. stuff that i never eat but he does. some people are saying it's going to be just as bad as juan. i hope not. ~Georgia
Hang in there Georgia.

It's looking like we might be getting slammed from both sides of the continent then. That super-typhoon named Nanamadol that has been hammering Japan has started veering east to cross over the Pacific and hit the west coast of Canada and the American PNW states. If it hasn't petered itself out and instead picks up more steam as it crosses the Pacific, as those typhoons most often do at this time of year, then the west coast will be having some floods, high winds, downed trees, land slides, damaged buildings, downed hydro lines and electrical failures everywhere. As usual when those Pacific super-typhoons slam into us.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that this time but I'm all stocked up and also did a bit of extra shopping yesterday. I'll spend the rest of today and tomorrow outside doing some prep work and nailing down or otherwise putting outdoor stuff under cover. Afraid there isn't much I can do about the trees on the property though, will just have to let the chips fall where they may.

Have fun. LOL. :giggle:

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
I posted some time ago about the Worgl experiment in Austria during the depression of the early 1930s. A state printed its own currency that forced the possessor to spend it within a short time period, otherwise they would have to have it stamped. Each stamping devalued the money. The experiment, however you look at it, actually succeeded in lowering inflation, and unemployment. The Austrian Central Bank shut it down of course.
View attachment 114522
View attachment 114522
Your intent noted, I’m not picking nits with your point. I’m just continuing the discourse.

Money should be both a currency and a store of wealth. That’s really the whole point of the thing. Sure, currency is important in its own right as the base barter system is unwieldy, but a currency that’s not also durable is of little value and a huge inconvenience. We shouldn’t have to turn our currency into gold or land or standing timber just because we’re worried about it going stale.

We’ve been fooled into accepting that our currency deflates; led to believe that it’s an economic inevitability. But, it doesn’t have to be that way. Economic growth breeds inflation of goods, but it also breeds deflation of currency. We, as the sustainers of our government’s prosperity guarantee, should be able to depend on that guarantee of the scalability of our individually collected wealth.

These games that our betters insist on playing with our currency should be reason enough not to depend on their guarantees of our security. 8% inflation is not OK. Neither is 2%. A sound economy doesn’t depend on the velocity of money any more than it depends on the growth of GDP.

With an honesty built and worked economy, those of us who produce should be able to sit by our fires and pat our full bellies, even in times of stagnation, because we have the security of knowing that what we’ve worked for is ours. And it’s durable.

Otherwise, what’s the point in having a government in our money at all?

·
newfieannie
10,866 Posts
i just spoke to my son. he was already planning on coming in for friday night . he was filling up pails and whatnot for flushing just in case he lost pwr , pking his saw and whatnot in the car and battening down the hatches at his place. i worry about wind something awful because of that monster oak tree next door mostly but not flooding because i'm on a hill although i expect many on the coast and flood plains will have basements flooded this time around. anyway i will rest easy tonight after that call. ~ Georgia

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
i just spoke to my son. he was already planning on coming in for friday night . he was filling up pails and whatnot for flushing just in case he lost pwr , pking his saw and whatnot in the car and battening down the hatches at his place. i worry about wind something awful because of that monster oak tree next door mostly but not flooding because i'm on a hill although i expect many on the coast and flood plains will have basements flooded this time around. anyway i will rest easy tonight after that call. ~ Georgia
Rest easy. I am glad you have back up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts