It's all gone...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Jan 1, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Remember one of my first posts here....way back in September?

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=58350&page=1&pp=30&highlight=bury
    Homesteading Today - Would you bury it?

All the trash is finally gone. We've salvaged some things that we wanted to keep. We're keeping the sewer pipes. We're keeping the 8 feet section of picket fence we found in the woods. We're keeping some of the tires to grow potatoes in.

My sister is back with her ex and he's hauled it all away for us. In trade for the work he got the two peahens that have been aggrivating the dog, eating his food, and who have been screaming from the top of the pine trees every morning about 2am when the neighbor comes in from work.

If we rent a bobcat ($100/day) he'll also come and grade out a place for a storm shelter and move the dirt to help with the driveway. We'll give him the 5 mallard ducklings that were given to me when the school hatched them out as part of a science project with no thought of what they were going to do with the babies.

Now we just need to trade a couple of Amazon parrots for some fencing and a goat. My little step-brother is getting married and is buying the singlewide we currently live in that cannot be moved again because of a broken frame. With what we get from this combined with our tax return, we will hopefully be all moved to our beatiful three acres on the hill sometime before April.

Got a goat, need a parrot???

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I am SO glad everything is going so well for you. But you near bout gave me heart failure with your title! If I had a goat I would GLADLY give it to you, however, I hope you find a good one. I'm trying to make up my mind whether or not I'm going to want a cow.....prob not! Maybe I can find someone to sell me some good milk tho. Anyhow, you have a good new year, you hear?

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thank you. My beloved wife says that I "exagerate for dramatic effect."

When I posted the link above, people were emailing me threatening to "turn me in." Good news folks, we didn't, haven't and aint-gonna bury any of it.

I think a small milk cow would be less trouble than a couple of goats and I really would rather have one. With that said, for us at least, goats are going to be more practical and useful. They'll produce several kids each year that we can take to be processed at the custom butcher only 3 miles from our new land.

4. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    The sad part about all of these old air conditioners, refrigerators, tires, bed springs, freezers,and computers is that most of the time it is more of a hassle to haul them off. The regulations cause the dumping of these things in the woods or along side a country road more than it encourages them to be taken to the proper facility.

I am glad you were able to resolve your situation. Where I live in Missouri we just can't get rid of the things easily because the closest facilities are a long distance away and then it costs you quite a bit to get rid of them once you haul them there. I even found a computer and monitor dumped along my gravel road. I picked it up and brought it home to at least see if it works or if I can salvage anything from it for spare parts.

Perhaps the EPA should say that the offending materials are not to be produced so that we don't have to worry about what to do with them at the end of a product's useful life.

5. inc

inc Well-Known Member

epa regulate something like that? oh please.
    they would all be out on the street without all that waste junk to keep them regulating it all in thier juicy office jobs.
    i was in the curbside waste collecton and rolloff waste biz and our company initiated curbside recycling in our service area, plus a form of low input composting that was viable for towns with limited funds for programs. in fact our composting system had visitors from municipal govts as far as the west coast and even a senator.(geake).
    our composting system was featured in an 89 or so issue of waste age news, (except our name wastn on it- some scientist was using our management method to compost shellfish wastes -rude awakening for me!) if your township uses a composting method that involves a 'staging area' (preparation step) and layering material to hold it in the truckyard until time is available to transport it to its final destination, thats our system.
    i think i know a little aboutt the garbage biz!

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

7. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Yes, I agree that the EPA would be out of the busybody business if they used their brains to help rather than screw things up. However, I see the reality all around. Appliances are dumped down country roads, oil filters and plastic petrolum product containers are dumped in the woods and on the roadside. The same with tires and the like. Computers and televisions get tossed out in the rural areas as well.

Regular waste is easy to take care of, but to make it difficult to take care of the less desireable products just makes things worse. That's why you have people doing illegal dumping or making private landfills. If it costs half a tank of gas to haul something to a special dump area and then you need to pay so much per item, there is little incentive to properly take care of it as there is more expense than benefit.

Yes, I am glad it worked out well in the end for DayBird, but that isn't always the ending people have.

8. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what you think of the world and your children's or grandchildren's future. If ya want to throw your trash into someone elses ditch and think you are free and clear. Think again. Someone threw their s**t on my place and as soon as I get the chance I am diggin through it to see if I can find some evidence. And if I do, he will get it back, I'm just not sure yet what he will get back. But he will get 110 percent of it back.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, don't stoop to their level! Find the evidence and turn them in. We have a big problem with dumping on our property. Our northern property line runs right down the middle of a large creek. People like to stop on the bridge and throw stuff over...right into their drinking water!!! Stupid, isn't it? If I see anyone stopped on the bridge I go over to investigate. Just recently found out that I've already become well known in the community...as "Sheriff Paula". I have called the Sheriff's dept. and we have left stern warnings on the vehicles of trespassers. If I find addresses, etc. in dumped trash I will immediately turn these people in to the proper authorities. Since that creek is maintained by the Corp of Engineers I have no problem going to the top.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of computers thrown out on my property. Still had the hard drives in them. Hard drives were operational with the files just deleted. My oh my. It is really quite enlightening to see what people keep on their hard drives. Enlightening and disturbing.

11. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I bet you've had lots of fun with that.

Thankfully, all of the trash left on our property has been disposed of properly. The three ac's were given to the local trade school to "disect." The tires we didn't keep went to a recycling center where they'll be ground up and reused and everything else went to a landfill.