Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
No charge for awesomeness
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up three 5 pound bags of Marth White buttermilk self-rising corn meal mix today for 75 cents each on clearance. I'll leave them in the factory sealed bags and place each individual bag of meal in a heavy mil plastic bag and tie them off.
I think since I have now 5 buckets, some with bags of bread flour, some with flour and corn meal, some with wheat berries, etc., I will probably take all 5 buckets and put them in the unheated garage over the winter. Soon it will be in the single digits or less, and this will be a great way to keep my preps frozen for months without needing the freezer. Ohio right now is becoming it's own deep freeze. I'll have to leave the contents in the buckets as mice can get in the garage and the buckets wilkl protect the contents from external vermin. Although I currently don't have any moths or worm larvae that I have discovered, this freezing of my dry preps will help kill any little vermin-critters that make try to grow. Since all my dry preps are bagged in smaller, individual bags, if one bag should get some worm or moth, it will stay contained in that one 5 gallon bag and won't spread to the contents of the whole bucket.
I had a bad infestation once and the moths got into everything. Some lessons are hard learned ........
Hope everyone is enjoying their preps for the upcoming holiday !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Rusty, you might want to put some attractive mouse poison around your buckets for safety. I've had mice chew thru wood and plastic before. If they get hungry enough, they'll try to eat anything, even the buckets themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts