Itchy scaly pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by vtfarma, Aug 23, 2004.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Well we have a sow due to deliver 9/3 who has excema on her back. We were away for 4 days and came home to find that she apparently has scratched on something and gotten a 1" square black spot almost like a blister that had red all around. I took the bag balm and socked it to her after cleaning it. That spot seems better but she has 2 others (one is better one is still oozing). We sprayed her with blu-kote - so now she is purple and the flies can get to the open sore. We are heading back to bag balm I think - just to protect her.

Any other suggestions for what this may be or how best to treat it. An old farmer told us used motor oil ... seems it takes the crack and itch right out of the skin.

Thanks, Laurie

2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Please don't use the oil. I would give a shot of Ivomec to worm and get rid of the parasites that are causing the itch that she is rubing. These mites or lice are so small you would be lucky if you could see them, but they iritate the hogs skin.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

She may have the mange. Ivomec will cure it and worm the sow at the same time. When our hogs got lice we poured used oil on all the walls and board fences where they might rub. Check to see how close to farrowing Ivomec is safe to use. I don't know.

4. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

i was told that if pigs are kept on concrete, without access to a mud hole, that they would get mites.

5. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

6. vtfarma

Thanks, I will get some Ivomec when I go to the co-op tomorrow - if I can use it this close. She seems a bit lethargic today... though that pregnant I can see why. If it is the worms she would be anyway.

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Just another thought being tossed in: mites can cause intense itching and pigs will scratch the skin right off of themselves. I use DE for mites and other parsites. I lightly sprinkle the pigs with it and lightly sprinkle the pen.

8. vtfarma

We gave her a shot of antibiotic yesterday and today. We also gave her some worming pellets that she is now eating...slowly. She jumped right up for an apple today so I am feeling that she is on the mend. Thanks for the support. Now if we can just get through farrowing!