Itchy doggie

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jillianjiggs, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

My little JRT is itchy like crazy! Yesterday he was looking at me funny and kicking his back leg. I went to check him out, and he had chewed a large raw spot around his tail, a big spot on his bottom, and one of his toes. The hair was gone and it was oozy and bloody. I gave him some benadryl and an oatmeal bath, and curled up with him until he fell asleep.

I got him into the vet today, and she said it looked like he went after his tail like corn on the cob! She combed him for fleas, and didn't find any or any flea dirt. (duh...just washed him less than 24 hours before) She gave him prednisone and had us treat both dogs and the cat with Advantage. If it doesn't go away, she said to go back. Could be yet ANOTHER food allergy!

Anyways - for those of you with itchy, allergic dogs, how do you treat their wounds? We have a BAD wasp problem. Do you think that a wasp would be able to get through a rough terrier coat?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Tis the season, got a few dogs coming to board with antihistamines for inhaled irritants causing "ichyness" and chewing. Yours sounds similar.

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Not meaning to open a can of worms here as this has been discussed before but what you are describing is classic food allergies.
    What dog food are you feeding? All commercially processed dog food [crap in a bag] is loaded with fillers, i.e grains.
    A dogs DNA is within 1% of the wolf, dogs are carnivores and are not designed to eat grians. When you eliminate grains in the diet and feed a biologically appropriate raw meat/bones/organs these issues normally disapear.
    Be careful with Prednisone, this is a steroid and has its own issues. No a google search and you will find a lot of info.
    My dogs have been raw fed for over 3 years now and I can attest to the diet if done properly. A healthy dog will not have the normal doggy odor and also will not have fleas. Fleas are attracted to animlas with a compromised immune system. My dogs are not chemically treated with anything.

Here is a link with more info
    http://www.bluegrace.com/barf.html

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Carnivores will rip open the stomach of what they kill and consume the contents, partially digested grains.

I think a raw food diet is great, but I also think that dogs having eaten cooked meats from humans for so many generations changes thier dietary needs a bit. I think a mix would be optimum. I personally have seen a huge difference after switching to a natural human grade food, that I now sell. My older border collie had arthritis. She would hold her leg up in the air when she would get up and start walking, then fall into a heavy limp. I started her on glucosamin and chondroitin, and the Flint River Ranch and she completely improved. After several months I took her off the Glucosamine and Chondroitin, and now she is just fine on the FRR. She gets raw meats every now and then in addition, especially around deer season. ;) Deer meat is her favorite, she's always begging while we're skinning one. :rolleyes:

I agree, it seems as though the ticks don't bug my dogs as bad either. Maybe that's just this year, next year may be different. Maybe I need to eat this stuff. :haha:

5. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Southerngurl,
    Actually in the wild they will shake out the stomach contents and consume the stomach but not the contents. The actual stomach is considered muscle meat.

6. southerngurl

My dogs eat the stomach contents when we toss the guts from the deer. Also, when my cats catch birds or mice they eat the whole thing (except for the tail feathers on a bird. The dogs eat the whole thing if they catch a rabbit (minus fur), mouse, rat, ect. The only time I see the dogs shake any meat is when it has pine needles stuck to it.

7. southerngurl

You're right about the wolves.

I still think dogs are different, and benefit from cooked and raw meats.

All people have more than 99% of their DNA in exactly the same sequence, yet everyone is different and needs different diets. If my mom eats eggs and bacon for breakfast she feels like crap all day, if she skips breakfast altogether, she feels good. However, my dad and I benefit well from a heavier breakfast. I think the diet of past generations affects what is the optimum diet for a person (or dog) now.

Border Collies were fed alot of oats throughout the development of the breed, thus they now benefit from a bit of oatmeal now and then.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

my dog has a seasonal 15 pill a day habit with benydril.

good thing DG sels em $1 a box of 25.

she really bloodys herself up without em. its ragweed I think she does it every august. when the snow flies the itch will be over.

she used to take prednesone and cortizone shots but the result was so minimal I opted for just more benydril. dogs reqire a very large does for their size and the size of the dose often is why people stop using it thinking its not working. at 60 lbs shes on 125 mg ever 6 hours, by the book she could have a bit more if needed, but 125 seems to get her calmed and sleepy. 100 mg she isnt so calm but a bit sleepy.

I forget the formula but you can work with my base figure I dose 125-150 mg per 60 lbs every 6 hours.

9. jillianjiggs

This isn't his typical food allergy itchiness. Usually with the food he'll itch and scratch, and get gastrointestinal symptoms like BAD, stinky, and obviously painful gas. He's on a premium quality vegetarian feed that doesn't seem to be causing any symptoms, at least, not so far. That was the reasoning behind trying the flea medicine. BOTH dogs are itchy right now, and they're on two different brands of food. The other dog gets your typical, cheap dog food. (he's not mine...mom buys the food) The vet said that within 9 days, any fleas on them should be dead. (even though she didn't find any in the first place!) I'm aware of the side effects of Prednisone, having taken it before myself. Usually a week long shot at it isn't enough to cause any serious side effects.

Well, here's an update: After a couple days of Benadryl, Gold Bond antibacterial ointment, and a few doses of Prednisone, he's doing better. He's been licking at his front paws, but no chewing. His bottom and tail look better. They're still pretty pink, but not the HOT pink color that they were before. The oozing has stopped and there isn't anymore bleeding. Yay! (For another month or two, until it happens again!)

10. Kinfolks

Kinfolks Member

I came across this link and I wondered if any of you could help me with my beagle's itch problem. He isn't gnawing at himself or anything. He is just always itching. I don't think it's fleas because I try to keep those under control. He does have a lot of dandruff type stuff in his coat, so I tried the more expensive dog shampoo and couldn't see a major difference. Any ideas. Thanks.

11. southerngurl

There's your problem, dogs are NOT vegetarians. They just won't do well without meat.

This is what my book says on the subject:

12. southerngurl

13. jillianjiggs

I'm well aware of the fact that dogs are omnivores. I cleared the diet with the vet. If he's allergic to meat, and you don't want me to feed him vegetarian food...what exactly is he supposed to eat?

14. southerngurl

He's allergic to every meat!?

15. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

I have had this occur in my dogs before. I was finally told that hte main feed filler -corn- will cause hot spots on the hind end areas of dogs. I switched feed and havent had a problem this year. I also use Bag balm on the rashes help sooth the itch for the dogs.

Good luck,
    Kathy

16. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

My dog also has allergies, the itching starts exactly at the beginning of ragweed season (mid-August). Last year his skin got red from the paw licking and scratching, so I took him to the vet and she prescribed predisone and an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement (3-V Caps). This year, he is itching but so far his skin is okay - no redness. I think the 3-V Caps help. My vet says that she has seen only limited success with antihistamines for dogs but I will ask her about it again if my dog keeps up the paw biting and licking.

I feed my dog Canidae that I get delivered to my door from

http://www.dogfooddirect.com/CanidaeDogFood.htm

Shipping is free if you live in the upper midwest. Canidae is made from grade A meat and no corn, soy or wheat so may help allergic dogs.

For some reason, my dog can't tolerate too much beef. We always share our meals with our dog (tid bits). (He knows he's going to get some so he doesn't beg.) Beef seems to upset his stomach if he gets more than a few tiny scraps.

17. jillianjiggs

He can have a little piece every now and then of chicken or turkey. Anymore than one bite, and he's up to the itching and scratching again. I've tried every feed available locally without a prescription (at least ten, maybe more) over the past few years, and this seems to be the only feed that he can tolerate. I've tried lamb and rice, venison, chicken, turkey, beef, rabbit, etc. and he has a reaction to all of the foods. Even with some of the vegetarian foods he gets the gastrointestinal reactions, but doesn't itch. He hasn't been tested to determine the specific allergies, but every vet I've asked said "if he gets a reaction, don't feed it to him."

I've also heard that dogs don't have great success with antihistamines. I get some results out of Benadryl. It's usually enough to stop the chewing for a day or so until the wound starts to scab. After it's scabbing, he leaves it alone. I've also been known to wrap parts of him like a mummy in order to stop the chewing. Hey, it works! I use the self-sticking vet wrap over some gauze and neosporin. Usually in a day or so it's starting to heal and I can take the wrap off without worrying about him chewing.

I just wish that we could get rid of the allergies for good. It breaks my heart to see him itchy like that.

18. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has a poodle mix that has bouts of itchiness to the point that she would chew and scratch herself raw. She started putting baby T-shirts on her and it stopped. Whatever was causing the irritation, seems to be held at bay with the T-shirt. She watches clearance sales and her dog wears a size 6 months. Not sure that this will help your furry child, but you might try it.

19. jillianjiggs

Heh :) I have a couple shirts that I put on him in the winter. He's got an Old Navy doggie muscle t, a hawaiian shirt, doggie jammies, and a couple other things. It keeps the rain and mud off of him, and I can just take the dirty shirt off and have a clean dog.

He chews his butt though. I'm not sure that I'm willing to let him wear diapers!

20. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Dogs are carnivores not omnivores. And it is very rare that a dog is allregic to meat and if so it is usually one protein source like chciken but they are not allergic to all meat. Meat meaning NOT processed. Is this a holistc vet you are taking your dog to? If not wher do you think that Vets get their nutrrional training from? PET FOOD COMPANIES :(

When you cook meat [ie, processed dog food] you are altering what the makeup is of the protein. People need to cook meat due to our longer intestinal track. Dogs have a short intestenial and can digest raw meat/bones/organs just fine. Here is a link for you www.rawmeatybones.com

You are doing a huge diservice to your dog by feeding a vegetarian diet and I will gaurantee if you really research raw feeding and do it right you will see a 100% improvemnet.

Best of luck