Itching, ears and more

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, May 26, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Should I be concerned that my new littles ones have lice? They love to rub and are itching themselves with thier feet. I have been brushing them daily which they love and has help to bond us -- only had them a week.

Also thier ears look icky...I am a fanatic about my dogs ears! Should I clean the goats as well and if so what do I use?

Also how often do you clean out thier stalls. They stay in it overnight and have access during the day. I have been cleaning everyday or every other - am I going overboard? (they haven't been wormed yet and I'm trying to decide if I can go the Hoegger herbal route with three month old kids!)

I think that's all my delimmas for now. :rolleyes:

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Lice are from the wild birds that nest in your barn or shed. Use Permectrin II 2.5 oz per gallon water. spray until wet but not soaked. Then spray your dwelling that they stay in. Get rid of the wild birds. I just got finished spraying mine (60+) Not fun. Just imagine you with fleas or posion ivy that is what your goats are going through, don't keep them in aggony. As to the worming, if thier gums are pink and their berries are not clumping then don't worry. you don't want to over worm your goats and build up an ammunity to medications.The kind you use is up to you but I don't give kids anything but white wormers until they are 6mths or older without a vet's sayso. The ears, you could use a couple of drops of veggie oil in each ear then clean with q-tip and washcloth the next day. i think that should cover your questions, maybe someone else has some other ideas for you.

jr05

3. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I have seen loose berries and clumped berries... and here's me being a novice what's considered a white wormer?

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Safeguard makes a goat wormer with directions on the back for amounts. You can not overdoes on this one as it is "safe". After opening put in refrigerator to prevent evaporation. Valbazen is also white but a little stronger. Start with the safeguard first, see if poop improves.
    Wait at least one week before re-worming if necessary.

jr05