Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in upstate mountains of PA. About 4 hours from Ontario Canada.. A few weeks ago saw about 6 sets of claw marks with 4 claws on it scratch on the back porch. Figured something eating the cat food during the night. Then the last few days have been smelling something dead..:teehee: around the clothes line area. Tonight husband cutting grass came on a decomposed body of an animal..totally flat. It is about 3 feet long, jet black fur with long full set of teeth with the canine teeth. Of course, my just bathed dogs found it too..:grit: They will be sleeping outside tonight and not in my bedroom !!I thought of a badger and does look very much like the photo I found but not many badgers this far south..What do you all think. I have not mastered the art of photos on line..So...can anyone help me out with this mystery..??:shrug:

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt it would be a nittany lion. It is very black in color and not as large as a nittany lion or mountain lionr with..cougar type animal. Daughter teaches and she is going to take the remains down to her high school to allow the wild life teacher to look at it.. Realize that badgers don't live this far south or east..but. who knows. Let you know what I do...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Might be a Fisher in that region, we.lived in southern tier ny for years and there was a co centrated effort to record fisher sightings.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
So the cat food done him in huh??? Must have been made in China . . .

Reactions: Danaus29

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
A badger has very distinctive claws. My DIL saw a cougar in their yard when they lived near Sayre, Pa. She grew up in eastern WA, where cougars are fairly common so she definitely knows one when she sees one. They found out there were cougars in the area.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Badgers are grey and white, and have an elongated skull and very long claws.

My first thought would be a solid black skunk -- I've seen skunks without white stripes on a few occasions -- but I would think you would be able to identify a dead skunk by the stink. ;-)

FWIW, animals don't always "read the book" about where they're supposed to live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts