It was so hot today........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by margo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. margo

margo Well-Known Member

That our chickens laid boiled eggs, and we had to turn on the furnace to cool off the house..... :rolleyes:

How hot did it get where you are ???????

Margo

2. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

It got soooooooo hot...that satan moved his branch office from Sumner, IL back to hell because it's cooler down there.

3. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

It was so hot here that I had to turn on the AC and take nap for much of the afternoon. :grump:

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

It was so hot here today that I didn't have to cook anything for supper. All I had to do was add butter to the roasted corn on the cob I found in the garden.

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

It is so hot here, that I found my chickens walking on popcicle sticks like stilts when I went out to feed tonight.

6. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

..97 degrees in the shade ..so hot that my air conditioner demanded an air conditioner of its own!

7. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

8. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

It's so hot......there's hot water coming out of the cold water faucets.

It's so hot......the temperature dropped to 90 and I feel like I need a sweater.

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

It is so hot here today that it will likely break the old record of 102.
    Russell, Kansas shot passed their old record of 103 and hit 107 today.

It cooled down at night all of last week, the last few days no longer. It dropped to 73 overnight, but it didn't stay that long enough for me to get the house cooled down for another 100+ day. Looks like it will be 100+ all week.

I haven't used the central AC since 1997 but would probably turn it on this year it I thought it would still work. Doubt I'll even try it. Not sure my old house wiring would support the use of a window unit. The circuits are pretty maxed out in my opinion.

10. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

This morning I put a metal roof on one room (which had been added on) of one of my rentals. It is 24' x 14' with an extension over the small porch area. My so-called help didn't get here till 8:00 AM, and then declined to get on the roof! She did, at least, hand up the sheet metal and bring me bottled water.

If I had known she wasn't going to get on the roof, I would have gone over and started earlier by myself!

I finished at 11:00 AM, drenched in sweat, and VERY glad to get that job done. I don't know what the actual temperature was at that time, but it did get to 92 here this afternoon, and that was in the shade, which the roof definately was NOT.

The neighbor stood on his porch and watched, and when I jokingly told him he could come help, he laughed and said it was very unusual to see two women working.

I told him I wouldn't have phrased that comment that way if I were him. :grump:

11. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

It's so hot our dogs are living in our garage, which is insulated and has A/C. They'll only go out long enough to take care of business and they're wanting back inside. So much for our guard dogs.

12. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Well the heat beat me today. Usually I just go out and work anyway. But last night I had 2 glasses of wine and you would have thought I stayed out partying all night. I tried to work a little but I think one of my eyebrows melted off. So the dogs and I just worked in the house today.

13. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

It was terribly hot here today....around 95 and so humid. I picked beans and I thought I was gonna pass out. My dog's didn't even want to be outside...which is very unusual.

14. Tonya

Tonya Guest

It's so hot here there was steam coming off they hydrant as my dog wizzled on it!!

It's so hot here that when I took popcycles out to the kids in the yard they got mad because all that was left in the plastic tube was kool aid!!

15. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

It's so hot here today, that the corn popped right in the garden! ;)

Sure is balmy. And the temp likely won't go much below 80 F tonight. Oh, my poor tomatoes! :( Like many others, we are SO feeling the heat, physically. I've been walking around in circles all day today, and I've felt so addle-pated I asked DH to do that "stroke check" thing with me.

Could be worse. It could always be worse.

It could be SNOWING! YUCK!!!

Pony!

16. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

It hit 106 here yesterday. Broke a 100 year old record by 4 degrees

17. Bee4Jesus

Bee4Jesus Active Member

yesterday it was 80-85 at the hottest part of the day. :dance: It rarely gets warmer than that around here.

18. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I dont think I remember the temp ever getting over 100. I dont know what the temp was near traverse city, because I was down near ithica, and I saw a digital thermometer out in front of the local bank. It read 103.

19. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

It was 104 yeaterday, and will be 104 today.

It's so hot, I can't wear my eyeglasses because the sun will shoot through them and start a grass fire because of the drought...

It's so hot, the horses are having to make the descision of their lives: stand in the middle of the pond where the only cool water is, or bake in the sun to eat a few mouthfuls of hot hay off the round bale.

It's so hot, the dogs are laying like pankcakes on the covered cement porch.

The hen won't leave the barn to free-range.

The goaties are mumbling incoherently to themselves (instead of the usual screaming in the am for food).

It's so hot, we've set the thermostat to 77 degrees, but the AC can't handle it, so the house is 83 degrees and rising.

20. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

It hit 113 in Valentine, NE yesterday, with winds of 20-30 mph. A fire in the NE edge of town destroyed 10-12 homes. Fire crews and tanker planes worked all night to contain the fire. This morning, there are still hot spots and crews are still out. No reports of injuries.