Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a grocery cart.

I needed to run in the grocery store yesterday for just a couple of things. Of course, both items were blocked by women with grocery carts talking on their cell phones.

One woman was actually giving a blow by blow description of what she was buying to the person she was talking to.

I wish cell phones were illegal, period. Let's go back to phone booths and home phones.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Would you be as offended if it were two people having a conversation? I never understood why a person talking on a cellphone offends some people but if there is more than one person, making the exact same amount of noise, having the same conversation it's OK. Whats more, if you listen to two people having a conversation, its considered rude and you are an 'eavesdropper'. But listen to one person having a conversation on their cellphone, and THEY are the one considered rude.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Would you be as offended if it were two people having a conversation? I never understood why a person talking on a cellphone offends some people but if there is more than one person, making the exact same amount of noise, having the same conversation it's OK. Whats more, if you listen to two people having a conversation, its considered rude and you are an 'eavesdropper'. But listen to one person having a conversation on their cellphone, and THEY are the one considered rude.
On cell phones they sure talk much louder. Very loud.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not the noise, it's the rudeness. If one needs to talk on the cell phone while in the grocery store, find a spot where you are not in anyone's way and talk away.

My neighbor was just rear ended while sitting at a stop light by a woman talking on her cell phone. She was going 45 mph.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The cell phone conversations bother me too. But, it's also the person that thinks the grocery isle is theirs and theirs alone. Parks their cart in the middle of the isle wandering aimlessly up and down, chatting on their phone while others are waiting to get the heck through the isle - "Oh, am I in the W-a-y? Sor-ry."

People!

I've said to the cringe of my husband - Oh yea, we're just watching the show. Keep it up. You're i-regard for others is quite noticeable. A little practice and you'll have it down.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
On cell phones they sure talk much louder. Very loud.
This is true. I don't know why people yell when they're on their cell phones.

The cell phone conversations bother me too. But, it's also the person that thinks the grocery isle is theirs and theirs alone. Parks their cart in the middle of the isle wandering aimlessly up and down, chatting on their phone while others are waiting to get the heck through the isle
People who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle bother me even more than people talking on their phones. I ram their carts out of the way with my shopping cart. If they're not looking I push their cart far away down the aisle.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Have you ever waited behind someone standing in front of a freezer door having an argument with a spouse? "They don't have those. What else do you want? ?.... well I'm not going to another store. I can get this...... listen, I don't have time for this - do you want it or not? No, I don't know if they have that......."

Finally you move off as you at least have made up your mind you no longer want that.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Publix in Florida is AMAZING. I've never seen any other store where such manners are rampant. Unfortunately, it seems to be spreading. Yes I do get offended when people block aisles and access when having conversations, or parking their carts in the middle of the aisles - which are intentionally narrow in Publix.

Part of the problem though is that most people want to be polite when confronting rude behavior, partly because those who are rude will often shoot back a rude response when confronted. Not confronting just makes the problem worse, as they get away with the behavior and others see them doing it and adopt it.

"You are blocking my way. Please move." (optional) - "If you need to talk, please find a place that is less disruptive and you can enjoy your conversation uninterrupted."

If you get a snide remark, just stare 'em down like a dog.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The one that gets me is those little old ladies that feel the need to discuss their church goings or bingo or whatever. They seem so nice and frail that while you may want to ram their cart or be rude, you just can't cause you were raised better than that.

To me, I love going shopping at 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning. Less people, less time. But then again, I try not to let the trivial and meaningless stuff bother me.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
I have never heard 2 people have a real conversation that is as stupid as the one side of some of the cell phone conversations I have been exposed to.

Grownup people in the grocery store who have to "phone a friend" and have a long, drawn-out consultation on what to buy, are a phenomenon of the modern world. Before that, people might need to ponder their purchase or read some labels, they might even ask a fellow shopper for help -- but they would let you get past them in the aisle while they did it. The cell phone gives the person a distraction, allows them to ignore that you are waiting to get past them. So yes, it's rude. Cell phone users seem to have taken the old etiquette that it is rude to interrupt someone while they are one the phone, and turned it around to make it OK to be rude to everyone else -- because they are on the phone.

·
13,915 Posts
This is true. I don't know why people yell when they're on their cell phones.

People who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle bother me even more than people talking on their phones. I ram their carts out of the way with my shopping cart. If they're not looking I push their cart far away down the aisle.
You can do better than that. Pick up some embarrassing product and drop it in their cart. Hemmaroid cream, something along those lines. Or some truffle oil, caviar, something REAL expensive. Or, take something they need out of their cart, like their milk or bread. That should break them of leaving their cart unattended.

·
Banned
292 Posts
It's not the noise, it's the rudeness. If one needs to talk on the cell phone while in the grocery store, find a spot where you are not in anyone's way and talk away.
If two people are having a conversation and getting in your way, does it bother you just as much? Tell the truth now....

·
Banned
292 Posts
I have never heard 2 people have a real conversation that is as stupid as the one side of some of the cell phone conversations I have been exposed to.

Grownup people in the grocery store who have to "phone a friend" and have a long, drawn-out consultation on what to buy, are a phenomenon of the modern world. Before that, people might need to ponder their purchase or read some labels, they might even ask a fellow shopper for help -- but they would let you get past them in the aisle while they did it. The cell phone gives the person a distraction, allows them to ignore that you are waiting to get past them. So yes, it's rude. Cell phone users seem to have taken the old etiquette that it is rude to interrupt someone while they are one the phone, and turned it around to make it OK to be rude to everyone else -- because they are on the phone.
IDK. My theory is that two people in conversation do all the same things as one person on a cellphone ( worse because there are two of them and they often block up the aisle ), but for some interesting reason cellphone chats seem to bother some people more.

I see people together in supermarkets wondering around aimlessly chatting up a storm and it seems to be more accepted. I think subconsciously you feel that one person alone doesn't have the right to be engaged in a conversation, whereas when its two people together blocking up the aisle and chatting away its just sort of more acceptable.

I live in a very rural area and we dont get cell service through most of the town, and outside the town forget it, there's none. Most people dont have cellphones here and its pretty rare to see anyone on one. In the supermarket people know everyone and they block up the aisles and have their chats as if they are the only ones there. Cellphones or not some people are just self absorbed and oblivious.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I was at SAMS at the gas pump and a person was taking on a phone. The woman that worked their ask if he was talking to her? I toled her that He was talking to himself.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Ok, I've done this and worse.2 weeks ago, we were in town at the new HY-Vee, and some woman was chatting away on her phone, cart blocking the aisle. I asked her to please shift her cart so I could get by, she just stared at me and turned her back, telling whomever she was talking to that some person, who thought they were the center of the universe wanted her to move. That was her FIRST mistake.
Dh just patted my arm, said let it go, and I smiled, he cringed.
Her cart "somehow" disappeared around the corner, it was already full, and as we were near the personal care aisles, I picked up a few thing for her, condoms, Prep-H, and incontinence pads.
We saw her at check out, gave me such a face! She had found her cart, but not the "extra" items, as dh said he saw the cashier shooting them through the scanner.
I do wonder what she thought when she got home and found them.

·
13,915 Posts
IDK. My theory is that two people in conversation do all the same things as one person on a cellphone ( worse because there are two of them and they often block up the aisle ), but for some interesting reason cellphone chats seem to bother some people more.

I see people together in supermarkets wondering around aimlessly chatting up a storm and it seems to be more accepted. I think subconsciously you feel that one person alone doesn't have the right to be engaged in a conversation, whereas when its two people together blocking up the aisle and chatting away its just sort of more acceptable.

I live in a very rural area and we dont get cell service through most of the town, and outside the town forget it, there's none. Most people dont have cellphones here and its pretty rare to see anyone on one. In the supermarket people know everyone and they block up the aisles and have their chats as if they are the only ones there. Cellphones or not some people are just self absorbed and oblivious.
Well when decent cell service and "phone a friend" shoppers come to your neck of the woods, I'm betting you will find it annoying, too!

The two people blocking the aisle and chatting, if they don't have the grace to notice they are holding up the parade and scoot over, I will say something to them to get thru. I give them a minute, but then if they don't wrap it up or at least notice what they are doing, I'll bring it to their attention.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
If two people are having a conversation and getting in your way, does it bother you just as much? Tell the truth now....
People who are talking face to face are usually more aware of their surroundings than someone talking on the phone, and they will usually notice they're in your way and move. If they don't notice on their own, you can say "excuse me" to them. There's something about talking to someone you can't see that takes most people out of their current reality, and it's considered impolite to interrupt someone who is on the phone and bring them back to reality.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts