Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I have been discussing the antics and attitude of a person we know. Over-educated, over-privileged,. little to no common sense, verbose, and a disconnect from practical reality.

I have been unable to find words to summarize but my wife came up with "NINCOMPOOP". But then the woman taught English all over the world for thirty years, so she has some grasp of the language. I had to agree, that person is a nincompoop.

Are you afflicted with any such acquaintances?

·
newfieannie
9,988 Posts
that was a word dad would use to describe one of his acquaintances. i haven't heard that since though. ~Georgia

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You may be referring to the medical condition more commonly known as nincompoopism. It appears to be some kind of virus that spreads rapidly. The only way to diagnose this condition is when people speak. The virus enters the body through the ears and confuses the brain of those not afflicted with it.
The federal government, WHO, and CDC may be infected.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Many in family think I am . Not over educated just made it to the 13th grade. If it wasn't for me they would be short. Mom and Dad divorced over 30 years ago.. They respect my guidance. I will keep up the good work ☺... Real estate is the best one for us!!! Sometimes I'm surrounded by idiots.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bless yo heart, chile!!!! Idiots are preferable to nincompoops because at least they have an excuse for it. Nincompoopism is not an involuntary condition!!!!! One has to work at it.

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
Wife and I have been discussing the antics and attitude of a person we know. Over-educated, over-privileged,. little to no common sense, verbose, and a disconnect from practical reality.

I have been unable to find words to summarize but my wife came up with "NINCOMPOOP". But then the woman taught English all over the world for thirty years, so she has some grasp of the language. I had to agree, that person is a nincompoop.

Nincompoop, to me, denotes a simple yet dense fellow. Sort of a Dagwood Bumstead.
Browsing the threads here on HT, I would think that the educated, privileged little to no common sense, verbose and disconnected from reality seem to be a little edgier and not quite happy with who they are. Folks like that are pretty easy to see coming.

·
Registered
238 Posts

My nephew, the snowflake. I tell him all the time the State of California spent 16 years teaching him what to think, but not 16 seconds teaching him how to think.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An ignoramus is simply one who knows very little about the basic working of life---A nincompoop knows it all, hut has most of it wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts