It pays to look CLOSELY

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bearfootfarm, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I decided to start feeding large round bales to the sheep to save some money. But to do that I needed a bale spear to move them around with. I went to Tractor Supply to get one. They had 3 different models sitting side by side. and as I was walking back and forth trying to decide, I glanced at the price tags. One said $!69, one $249 and the third $289...or so I thought!!

When I looked CLOSELY the $289 was marked $28.00. I found the guy that usually helps me and asked him what was the correct price so he looked it up in the computer. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!! $28.00 WAS the right price!!

He explained that when they had things that had been there for a while they would start marking them down until sold. So I got a $289.00 bale spear for $28.00 :dance:
    He also showed me a cattle squeeze chute and headgate marked down from $879.00 to $69.95. Im trying to figure out now how to modify it to fit my sheep. If I can make it work Ill go back and get it next week.

Look close when you go to Tractor Supply. Scrounge around outside and look at all the equipment. He told me this is the Company policy, not just this one store

2. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Sweet! I am heading there tomorrow!

3. Bearfootfarm

"Are you serious? Sweet! I am heading there tomorrow!"

I couldnt believe it either. Thats why I asked the guy. Ive also bought several bags of feed for $1.00 because they had holes in them, even though it was obvious none had been spilled. He also told me they had recently sold some front tractor tires for 7CENTS each!!

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

What store was this? It might be worth the gas for me to drive over there!

As a side note, did you know that TC will not sell baby chicks anymore due to the bird flu?

5. Bearfootfarm

"What store was this?"

I call it Greenville but I think if you look it up on their website it says Winterville.
    Where are you?

I never saw any chicks at that store anyway but usually my wife goes since she drives by it on the way home from work.

6. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Over near Charlotte...

I guess it is a little far! :shrug:

7. Bearfootfarm

"I guess it is a little far! "

Its only 300 miles! LOL

8. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I wish you would have posted this a couple weeks ago... Was out that way. Drug the boat to Morehead City for a little fishing!

I could have filled up the boat with gates, tractor tires and 1000 pounds of chicken feed on the way back...

**** thread hijacking ****

What is the price per acre out your way now? Was thinking about picking up a couple if the price was right...

9. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

"As a side note, did you know that TC will not sell baby chicks anymore due to the bird flu?"

Yeah, last year I got 100 Rhode Island chicks after Easter for .60 each. I went this year and they told me they would order them if I wanted but they couldn't carry them because of the bird flu.

10. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I was in TSC a few weeks ago, and they had a BUNCH of broken feed bags marked down really cheap. Too bad it wasn't chicken food. If I remember correctly, I think it was something for goats and sheep.

11. Bearfootfarm

"What is the price per acre out your way now? Was thinking about picking up a couple if the price was right..."

That would be tough to answer. It all depends on EXACTLY where it is. The farther East you go the cheaper it gets (as a VERY general rule) That is , until you get TOO close to the coast. A few years ago we managed to get 36 acres for 75,000, with a tobacco allotment included. It was probably 90% cleared farmland. Closer to Greenville there are 1 acre LOTS that will bring that much. Youd just have to see what is for sale and go from there. If youre looking for farmland Google up "The Rich Company" They handle a lot of real estate in the more remote areas

12. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

There is one in Ashville also

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

The Hickory one is the closest to me! :)

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am running errands today. Gotta check out tractor supply........

15. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

Same policy in all the TSC stores I've seen in Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Bearfoot, if you can't use the chute, why not buy it and re-sell it? Or give it as a gift to one of your homesteading buddies? :)