It lives! Massey 35 follow up

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I had to get a decent charge in the battery but my old massey 35 fired up with only a few tries (I had to jump the relay as the button fell apart) A sticky choke didn't help either. The old beast creaked to life and ran pertty good but getting the 3pth hitch to lift took a bit of control fiddling (I guess it had drained of oil?) then the PTO clutch wouldn't disengage so we hooked it to my 315 baler (which is waaaaay too big for a 35) and turned the flywheel over and by running it up and down I guess the clutch unseized so now it engages and disengages nicely. A few leaks to address, and the wiring is a mess, but its gone from 1000 scrap value to 2000 fixer upper in only a few hours fussing and a tune up kit. Guess I'll go buy that reproduction seat now!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Glad to hear it went fine, always nice when things do work! I suggest that you block the clutch pedal for awhile or at least until you start using the tractor to prevent it from seizing again. I saw some wiring harnesses on the internet that looked good and were about as cheap as one could make a harness and the looks of the factory appearing harness would dress up the tractor.

3. Ross

First and foremost I am planning to sell this little tractor, so I want it to be as good as can reasonabley be expected. If you can remember where you saw that harness I'll take a look. Its a simple electrical system and I'm pretty sure I can make up an impressive harness, but if like you say its as cheap as you can make, why work?

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross, I think I saw the harness on ebay for like $15 US

6. Ross

No not decals yet certainly time to fix the few leaks and then the wiring and guages/tach. I should take a few pictures for a before and after comparison. So much to do besides working on the tractor, I have a custom paint job that really can't wait any longer too.

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

nice to make it live again eh?

edited.... me and my typing.. i need gnu finger programing

William