It happened!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Feb 16, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I met the gentleman Sunday after church out on our beautiful five acres of oak trees. He's the one that does the grading for the Clayton Homes retailer we bought our singlewide from. He said that it would be Wednesday or Thursday before he could come out and grade down the driveway and build the "pad" for the trailer to sit on. I said that would be fine and asked him to call me and let me know when he was going to do the work.

His phone call woke me up yesterday morning. He said that he was going to get the job done before the rain came later this week. (Tonight?) I told him that would be terrific. He asked if I could meet him out there. I told him that I couldn't, that I was almost 2 hours away and that I had to be at work at 2pm.

He called again about noon and said that he had finished what he was doing and that he had already called for the trailer to be delivered. I went out this morning and was amazed. It's simply amazing. I cannot even describe to my wife what it's like to see the trailer that you've prayed for and have actually been able to buy on the land that you worked so hard to get. (You remember that I at first bought 3 acres back in September, that I sold that property just a few weeks ago with enough profit to pay down on this 5 acres to get the monthly payments the same as the smaller property.)

It's not exactly what I had pictured in my mind. (He covered over the septic tank line that connects to the house. I guess I wish that I could have been there.) I'm not sure what I was even expecting. I am very glad and very greatful that it's actually there. I had to leave the property about 10 this morning to go to work. I got there and called my District Manager and told him that I needed to take my vacation next week so we can get started moving the birds (teetering at about 100, depending on who's hatching) and aquariums and the collection of over 200 books and Bibles and at least 75 potted plants.

I had declined having them hook up the septic and water to save a couple hundred dollars. I can glue PVC together. The regraded driveway is beautiful. He used that dirt to build the pad under the trailer. (Reportedly, Alabama now requires a sloped, dirt "pad" under all newly set mobile homes so that water doesn't run under the house. He pushed the leftovers to the side and built a wonderful play-yard for the kids right in front of the playhouse that was left for us by the previous owners.

As requested, I'll keep you updated each significant step of the way.

2. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

:D Congratulations!! How exciting. God Bless!!

Nance

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

That's terrific! I'm so glad things are moving so fast and so smoothly for you now.

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Very cool -

Hope you have a very successful animal/bird transfer.

AngieM2

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hope it all goes very smoothly. Have FUN! :)

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thats great im happy for you

7. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Actually I do know that feeling of seeing your own house on your own land.

Some pictures sure would be nice.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Are you already saying to yourself : "This is the last time we'll ever have to load up our stuff and move!" ? I don't plan to ever leave my land (they'll have to carry me out "toes up".

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I already want the 6.5 acres next door that's for sale. That would give me 11.5 and I think I'd be happy forever. I don't even want to leave "toes up." Just dig a pit and toss me in. Or chop me up and feed me to that wild cat... :haha:

10. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Congratulations,it is a wonderful feeling to have that land.

Hope the move goes smoothly as well.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Congratulations!!! I really know how you feel today.

God is Good !!

big rockpile

12. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! If you have a relieved feeling of finally coming home, I know exactly how you feel.

13. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I've taken a car-load of stuff with me to work everyday this week. I leave work and drive to the new place and unload and work there for several hours. My wife has not been there to see the house sitting on the land yet. I take her there tomorrow. She's so excited. We only have here the sheets and blankets on the bed, five towels and just a few changes of clothes each. There are only 5 drinking cups left here and just enough other pots and pans and dishes to get us by.

By using this method, I figure we can move, gradually, over the next month, a little at a time, going there after work every day. We're pulling up the carpet. I'm going to post new questions about that.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and encouragement.