It finally rained but..........

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Barb, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

before it rained it hailed. And I mean hailed - golf ball size hail! :grit: We lost the wheat, a kitchen window, and you guessed it - the garden is a disaster. I thought it was all gone but I looked again this morning and a few things may recover. I'm very grateful it wasn't worse though. Others have more damage than we have. Town got baseball size hail. One of our renters stopped this morning to look at the wheat damage. He got hail three times from the storm (we got it twice) and his neighbor was driving in it - broke all her windows and injured her. So far we have heard some pretty bad reports of damage. My garden is the least of it but I'm still heartbroken. On the bright side the hay is done and the cattle seem okay.

2. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow Barb that rain sure was costly. I guess there will be a lot of vehicles with big dents in them like we used to see after a big hailstorm when we lived in FL. Gardening can be so discouraging sometimes! Rita in TN

3. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Huge dents Rita! Town had baseball size hail. It knocked out windshields and injured people. A high percentage of homes had the north windows broken. Our wheat is on shares and our renter paid the insurance so we will get nothing. I really needed the garden. Somethings may recover so I am hopeful yet. I doubt the tomatoes will recover in time to beat the frost but the potatoes actually look okay. The beans are gone but I see a few zuke that aren't squished. So it goes I guess :bash:

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

We just had a hum-dinger pass thru here--about an hour ago------taking down huge trees, flipping semi's on the highway and knocking out our 2 local TV stations.

5. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Yeeeks! I hope that's not the same storm that's headed my way....
    Glad to hear that you are both ok... sad to hear when stuff like that happens though...

Kaza

6. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I'm in NW South Dakota near the North Dakota line. Lucky us we got it first. :rolleyes: I watched the storm form over our heads, which happens often but then it usually moves on before we get anything. It actually was very interesting watching it pull clouds in and going in a big circle. Town to the south of us had a lot of crop damage. Corn, or what is left of it, is now about 8 inches high. Winds picked up 1500-2000 pound bales and moved them around. There's seven miles of power poles snapped off.