It burns, it burns! Stinging nettle remedies?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DixyDoodle, Jul 27, 2006.

1. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Yes, we have stinging nettle on the property. Another little 'gift' left on the homestead by the previous owners that saw fit to let it grow in the yard, along with the burdock. I know it to see it and usually can avoid it til I can get there to cut it out of the ground. However, the dh usually walks right into it!

I normally just get a bit of burning and then I'm fine. I don't bother putting anything on it to ease the itch as it goes away fast; maybe wash it and that's all. The dh, on the other hand, gets nasty-looking welts that persist for days (just like he does with bug bites). I'm not sure what he can use to ease the burn or stop the welts (aside from some antihistamine).

I recall someone telling me way back when that there is a plant that almost always grows close to nettle, and that you can apply the leaves or sap to a sting and it helps. Can't recall what that plant was, though.

Any remedies for stinging nettle would be appreciated! :)

DD

2. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Hubby says pee on it. yuck! lol

I say try bleach. or benadryl cream.
    good luck

3. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

This website titled Native Plants of Montana suggests Mugwort;

"Mugwort is often found growing next to Stinging Nettle. Some have made the claim the application of fresh Mugwort leaves can be a cure for the effects of Stinging Nettle or Poison Oak."

http://plants.montara.com/ListPages/FamPages/Urtica.html

4. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

I was told immediately after getting stung to cut one peel the stem then rub it on where you were stung. This means carrying gloves, knife and maybe pliers with you at all times, but it does work.... at least for me it did.

I don't know if it would work for your DH now or not, since it has been awhile since he was stung. I also heard the Pee thing too, wouldn't hurt to give it a try either.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Works for me in the garden, and I've heard applesauce, that's what I rub on the kids when they run in with a nettle burn. We have it allll over and the burdocks too, it's a constant battle. before I bought this place it was 30 years an amish farm and around here they just graze the yard, no mowing. While 30 mins away from here I see amish wives mowing yards with field and brush mowers all the time : )

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife says that burdock is a remedy for stinging nettles, and is almost always found near nettles. Pick a leaf, mush it up, and smear it on the spot affected by the nettles. I think that she usually suggests chewing the burdock a bit to make it wet and mushy. It usually works for me, but sometimes I forget to try it right away. The sooner you try it after contacting the nettles, the better.

Betty Hunter likes this.
  7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

you ever hear that prevetion is the best kinda cure? while we hate using herbicides we do use full strength round up on stinging nettle . milk soap on the stings or baking soda.

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

stinging nettle and burdock are both excellent herbal medications for a number of illnesses. some herbalists think that whatever is growing in profusion is your yard is what your body needs.

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

If pee works, ammonia should.

10. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

It's the ammonia in urine that makes it work, so you might try that.

edit: No fair bink, you're closer! My bits and bytes have to travel halfway around the world, and you're right next door! :Bawling: :)

11. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Eat the nettles for your revenge.

12. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

you may think I am nuts, but I planted stinging nettles. I get stung when I pick them, but otherwise stay clear. since they grow kind of tall they are easy to see. their sting is considered beneficial for rheumatoid conditions. I have several uses for them and consider the stinging nettle my friend. The Amish use burdock for burns. It may be helpful to have it nearby.

13. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

14. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

There's also a plant called jewelweed that supposedly helps with skin irritations.

I always steam or saute some fresh nettle greens in the spring for a good side dish. The leaves can be dried for an herbal tea. Or with the bigger plants, cut them up and put them in a bucket of water and let sit for a couple of weeks. It will stink, but it makes a great plant fertilizer.

fishhead likes this.
  15. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

reminds me of the time a lover and I 'found' nettles.. put an end to that fun real fast!
    we used aloe and within seconds we were all better.

16. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

hmmmm....burdock.....funny I mentioned that in my first post, that there was also tons of it around, perhaps that was the remedy! Not sure what mugwort is, though, if it's even around here.

Funny, after the last time I got stung, I was wondering if maybe it would be a good remedy for something....except for people like the dh, that is!

17. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

This may sound nuts, but I just grab a handful of dirt and rub on it. Works for me.

18. cath

cath Well-Known Member

Right behind ya, Sally!

I was just going to post that the best and most available remedy is mud! We have a lot of stinging nettle on our property, they are always right underneath the huckleberries too!

I've not had the guts to pull some and try it as a cooked green or as tea, but I guess I would in a survival situation! What kind of gloves does one use to harvest up those things? Will leather gloves keep the "sting" off?

19. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

Spread a layer of Elmers Glue on it. Wait til it dries(clear) and peal off. the little naettles or barbs stick to the glue. Like removing tiny slivers. Remove the nettle stop the sting.

20. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

When we lived in Scotland we a buch of them in the back part of the yard. There was a plant that grows next to them, as stated above, that you pulled of a leaf and rubbed it on the spot, we didn't cut anything or try just to get the sap. Then we would use white vingar to stop any reaction to the sting. The leaf stopped the sting, the vingar was for any reaction to it-my son had a reaction to the sting. To kill them we laid dark plastic over the patch, and the next season used a heavy rake to remove them.
    Hope this helps,
    Bonnie