ISO veggies that grow well in Montana :)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Steph in MT, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hello all~
    It's just beginning to snow here and I'm chomping at the bit to plan my first summer veggie garden here. Recently moving from zone 10 where I could grow anything year round, I look forward to the challenge of gardening in zone 3/4.
    I recently learned that elephant garlic doesn't do well in freezing temps... :waa: I'd love to get reccomendations of veggies others have grown and have been pleased with. The seed catalogs have so many choices it makes my head spin. :eek: I garden organically and like the idea of heirloom and non-hybrid varieties. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
    Steph

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Folks, I lived in casper,wyoming. I grew elephant garlic-came up for three years in a row from first planting, cayenne, poblamos, sweet, banana, habanaros-peppers, aspaurgras, blackberry, rasberry, elderberry, gooseberry, crookneck, zuccinni, patty pan, acorn, blue hubbard-squashes, black crimm, yellow pear, betterboy, lemon, grape-tomatoes, any carrots, rutabaga's. and I could go on.
    Don't worry about freezing your garlic winters got to -26 with wind. shadowwalker

3. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Please go here and check out all the goodies in your area.

http://www.foodforeveryone.org/faq/index.php?page=index_v2&id=191&c=39

ESPECIALLY HERE. This guy can be found on this site, too. He is my most recent mentor. He's out there in SLC, Utah. I read about this on another site from a fellow named Calvin. It was one of the best advices I have ever taken.

I hope this helps you. There are wealths of information there.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Go to seedtrust.com they have high altitude old fashioned seeds that do very well here in montana!

5. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd say, "I start champing at the bit as soon as my plants start the wilt, in the Fall." So I know what you mean, Steph.

6. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hello all~
    Thanks for the suggestions! Those are all great websites. I couldn't find "seedtrust" but I found "seedstrust" and figured that must be the place! I'll be ordering my seeds soon! :)
    About my elephant garlic; I had to leave town for about a week due to a family emergency and the temps were getting down to 18* or so at night while I was gone. When I pulled them most had black mushy spots that I guessed might've been from freezing? I think there are a few I'll be able to salvage~ hope so as I've been growing new generations of this garlic for at least 10 yrs. I've kinda gotten attached to it. :)
    Hope all have a great day!
    Steph