Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago Homer Formby had a TV show and he would give out his recipe for his furniture stripper free on that program. I've lost that recipe and can't find it online anywhere. I'm hoping someone here still has. His prepacked one is so much more expensive!

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Hope you can find it.

I found this on the 'net:

I remember part of what Homer Formby used to say would work for his refinisher. It was equal parts of Acetone, Benzene, Xylene (or maybe Xylol) and Tolulene. I think that was all that he mentioned. I am somewhat concerned that there was a fifth ingrediant but I am not positive.He used to tell people that they could make their own refinisher using these ingrediants but that they may be hard to find in stores. That was why he recommended his formula. His show used to have other tips and mixes for household cleaning and revitalizing. He was a BIG proponent of Tung Oil. During his show he used to state that it was the most expensive oil around, but was impressed with its properties and values.

From here.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
A simple and great refinishing solvent is 50% lacquer thinner and 50% denatured alcohol..I mix mine in a quart jar. Then pour some into a old glass bowl. Dip very fine steel wool in the solvent and apply to surface in a light circular motion. Where gloves to protect your hands..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yum....chemical cocktail. I would recommend not only gloves, but a respirator if you are going to use this noxious formula.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Anything containing Xylene, toluene, acetone, lacquer thinner
and denatured alcohol is somewhat unhealthy and a bit dangerous.
But without some combination of those solvents it will not be
worth 2 cents.
Everything is a chemical.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Formby's Furniture Refinisher was
Methylene Chloride, Methynol and Toluene...dunno his proportions.
I mixed equal amounts... 1 gallon of each.
(back in the 80s)
It melted and washed away the old black varnish INSTANTLY...I just kept ladling it with a metal cup.
It evaporates REALLY FAST!...and deteriorated any rubber gloves I had.
It Is harmful and absorbs through skin...probably why I am nuts....heehee
Be careful.
It sure does work!!!
...and it dissolved glue joints.
You may have to get a permit to buy one or two of the three ingredients these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts