Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bedias, Texas
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is off topic, but please dont move it cause I always see her post in this category.

SO. I'm looking for the east Texas midwife. Please email me. I have some midwife questions.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
You might be looking for mamajohnson. She is in East Texas and used to do midwife work. Drop her a pm.

Halo

·
Bedias, Texas
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah.............NONE OF YOU KNOW!!!!!! Remember! Mums the word!!!! *grin* (no seriously...you dont know! You want to know why, pm me....otherwise you havent seen A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G! RIGHT!?!)

grin. Thanks guys!!!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
You are looking for either LynninTexas or Quiverfullmidwife, I think.

Check on the Dairy Goat Info forum (dairygoatinfo.com)

·
Bedias, Texas
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS Camille!!!!

I've emailed both of them. I hope one of them answers. It never occurred to me how much nicer it would be to have a FARM midwife than a city midwife until I started looking for one. City midwives see giving birth way out in the middle of nowhere, on a farm a little differently probably than a midwife who lives on a farm, out in the middle of nowhere. grin. And they both have a passel of kids which is kinda reassuring. anywho...... gotta find a midwife one way or another. *fingers crossed*

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Sorta off topic but I had my last homebirth with my husband as my midwife :p Made the jump from hospital birth to unassisted and I look forward to doing it again :p Just an idea if you cannot find a midwife :)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
THANKS Camille!!!!

I've emailed both of them. I hope one of them answers. It never occurred to me how much nicer it would be to have a FARM midwife than a city midwife until I started looking for one. City midwives see giving birth way out in the middle of nowhere, on a farm a little differently probably than a midwife who lives on a farm, out in the middle of nowhere. grin. And they both have a passel of kids which is kinda reassuring. anywho...... gotta find a midwife one way or another. *fingers crossed*

I quite agree! And they are both very knowledgable and kind and definitely Pro-Baby! :) And Home Births are the best!

·
Bedias, Texas
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorta off topic but I had my last homebirth with my husband as my midwife :p Made the jump from hospital birth to unassisted and I look forward to doing it again :p Just an idea if you cannot find a midwife :)
To be honest, I've fantasized about just walking out into the bull pen (now vacant) where the old homestead house USED to be and just coming back with a baby. BUT thats just my pipe dream. Actually this will be a HBAC for me. I was lied into two unneeded c sections, so I feel like I ought to have a midwife, at least this time, to be sure everything's how it's supposed to be. Plus we're under the added stress of being watched by cps. One of Evan's friend's wife got ----ed off at me (she called my house and Evan's work screaming at us and we hung up, because an adult should know better) and she called CPS and made up a whole bunch of crap, which was taken as gospel (Evan was really surprised to hear that I shot him. You THINK that would be an easy one to disprove. Problem is they wont look at a doctor's findings. shrug). WE got the investigator who hates home schooling and people with different belief systems (said Katie was out of touch with reality because she believes in ghosts.) So I’m very worried about having any choices at all at this point. I have a doula, but I want to get a midwife before I have the option taken away from me.

·
Bedias, Texas
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I quite agree! And they are both very knowledgable and kind and definitely Pro-Baby! :) And Home Births are the best!
Have you had one???? I'm catching a lot of *poo* from people who think homebirths are dangerous, and irresponcible. sigh. It's hard to keep a chin up sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Well if they tell you it is dangerous, remind them that more people die at hospitals than any other place :) I have been on message boards where women had unassisted homebirths after csections. You should check into finding it. I can look it up if you want to. Some of the women use midwives or just doulas too but a lot just do it with their husbands.

I had 5 hospital births that were all induced and had a lot of intervention (like the thing into the scalp to read the heart rate) and they were far more painful than the one I had at home, without any pain killers... and i even chatted online a lot of the labor LOL

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Oh wanted to say something else.. If you are worried about CPS or noisey busybodies. Just don't tell anyone you are planning on having one. We didn't tell anyone til afterwards except inlaws who were given a 24 hour warning. All of our kids stayed here so technically we didn't have to alert anyone. Then you can take baby in within the first day or two for a check up so that you have proof the baby is healthy etc. and then you shouldn't have any problems with anyone claiming neglect or abuse. (some people have family who call the ambulance when they knew she was in labor)

·
Registered
333 Posts
You might want to check the laws in your state regarding home births and midwives. Some have crazy stuff! In NY if you refuse the eye drops for your newborn you are commiting neglect!! Crazy!
And to avoid trouble you need to find a pro home birth DR to see the baby after. Some Dr's freak out! And will cause you trouble.
If you look at the CDC numbers a home birth with a midwife IS safer than a hospital birth.
There are several good books out that state the facts about the broken state of obgyn care in this country. And the crazy way DR's are defending themseves against the use of midwives and the over use of c- section's.

Congrats....oop's ....shhhh! :D

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Have you had one???? I'm catching a lot of *poo* from people who think homebirths are dangerous, and irresponcible. sigh. It's hard to keep a chin up sometimes.

I have had 5 homebirths. And I am a double VBAC as well (although my caesarean births were justified, I didn't want to have another one just because I had had a C-section before! Around here, the hospitals were requiring women to have a C-section if she had had ONE C-section. I've had 3 regular births since my 2nd C-section (placental abruption). I had a midwife in that case, but she knew there was a problem, we trusted her, and went to the hospital, and they did what they are good at. (They were rather hostile toward me after the birth, during recovery, etc. but I just ignored them and wouldn't let them take care of the baby. He never left my sight. They didn't like that either. Too bad.

As far as aftercare for the baby, around here the midwife comes to visit at 24 hours after the birth and checks the baby again (they do the whole APGAR etc while at your house). And then usually a week later. Most like you to come see them at this point, but I don't like to drag a baby around so the midwife comes here again.

You don't have to see a doctor, but in your case you might need to if you have potential CPS problems. And I agree with Little Red Hen - the fewer people who know, the less potential interference, and hopefully less stress for you.

Your midwife will know all the pertinent laws in Texas for homebirthing, but I had the idea that it was pretty flexible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts