Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else dose not like winter...it comes along with all of its joy dosnt it!?

I just got back from the barn...this was not my favorite nightly checkup!! I had to literally DIG myself in...we are in the middle of a pretty big storm right now and the snow is drifting right by the door...not fun.:grit:

Than the pipes freeze...it dosnt happen often and only takes a bit to un-thaw them but..UGH! Water freezes...

My limbs and figers and everything get so cold it hurts....man oh man...its only the middle of December and I want it to end...who else just wants to wake up and it be spring...:Bawling:

And to think...people are worried about gobal warming.....

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
I am with ya Jesse. I am tired of winter. Ours isn't as bad as y'all's, but it is cold. This is the coldest it has been this time of year in ages. We usually get this weather in January and February. Come on SPRING!!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
not me! Even as i crawl into the shelter and my hands get cold and I have to thaw out water bowls...Ah...but I love winter! :)

My bunnies love it. they Do SO very well in the winter. No summer panting from the heat. No health problems. So yeah...it's a bit cold...but the bunnies are happy and so then ... am I! (and my hubby is much more comfortable in the winter as well).

AND JESSE>>> WEAR GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) (I know you..you don't like to wear them...WEAR THEM!) :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am with ya Jesse. I am tired of winter. Ours isn't as bad as y'all's, but it is cold. This is the coldest it has been this time of year in ages. We usually get this weather in January and February. Come on SPRING!!!!
If only we didnt have to wait so many more months!! I guess be better start getting used to it though....

not me! Even as i crawl into the shelter and my hands get cold and I have to thaw out water bowls...Ah...but I love winter!

My bunnies love it. they Do SO very well in the winter. No summer panting from the heat. No health problems. So yeah...it's a bit cold...but the bunnies are happy and so then ... am I! (and my hubby is much more comfortable in the winter as well).

AND JESSE>>> WEAR GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know you..you don't like to wear them...WEAR THEM!)
:croc: Aha! I ate you!!!!:p LOL!!!!

Oh trust me, after shoveling my nieghbors steps off with no gloves, im not going there again...they felt like they were being chopped up...

On the good though, im getting insolated coverals for christmas:)

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I"m with you, Ladysown! I love winter! I must admit my rabbit setup is very convenient, attached garage and all, but I"m out and about and I love it. I have hat/coat/boots/gloves and front wheel drive/new snow tires so I"m good to go. I got bad frostbite when I was a kid and my hands freeze up easily now but I just warm them up and I'm good. I love all four seasons and just prepare for each one differently.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I"m with you, Ladysown! I love winter! I must admit my rabbit setup is very convenient, attached garage and all, but I"m out and about and I love it. I have hat/coat/boots/gloves and front wheel drive/new snow tires so I"m good to go. I got bad frostbite when I was a kid and my hands freeze up easily now but I just warm them up and I'm good. I love all four seasons and just prepare for each one differently.
Okay, i guess winter can be good too....but not all the time!! I love winter at times...its awesome....its just at times i HATE it...just like when i freeze. BUt hey, shoveling my way into the barn, cant say that was that bad...it was kinda fun!!

I love the cold...but not to cold, not to the point where I am freezing, but i like cool. Not hot...my bedroom has not heat and I love it:)

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I don't mind normal winter weather most of the time, but this particular storm can't be anyone's idea of fun! The wind is horrendous. I really hate high winds... I've had two bad experiences with wind storms and it makes me edgy just to hear it howling out there. And joy of joy! We get to shovel the same snow numerous times, since it drifts back within minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I'm totally sick of it. -34 windchill for today, that was In Town. Out here we get a LOT more wind. Found 4 dead chickens. Got cold, sat down and died. Another one setting out there waiting to die. I brought it in to warm up but have little hope. ACK!
I guess I'd better stop complaining right now. Our weather is nasty tonight, but nothing compared to yours, Cheri. Hope it improves soon!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wind chill is -21 F here tonight.
I'm with all of you who hate this!

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Ok, so it's not quite so bad here--6F last night, 14F expected tonight, 17F now with a 5F wind chill, but for Texas, it's BAD, and we get some hellacious winds (gusts 45-60mph), too, especially from the north! Land is flat as a pancake and almost no trees (too dry). We always say that there ain't nuthing 'tween here and Canada but a bob-wahr (barbed wire) fence, an' it's so flat that if'n you stand on your toes and look north, you can see Canada from here.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I must say, we are better off this year than we were last year. We've gone from a 3 sided shed, to a barn complete with electricity! Even with that... I'm currently nursing a goat buck who got dehydrated too quickly with the weather change. My kitchen looks like an animal hospital. LOL!

The wind just makes it a whole lot worse...

Cricket

·
Premium Member
27,863 Posts
I was going to complain about my temps being 4*F overnight and not enough ducks in the shed to generate enough heat to keep it above freezing. That is until I saw the -34 windchill! I sure hope we don't get that cold!

Does anyone get the magazine Hobby Farms? There was an article with instructions for making your own warming hut from a 55 gallon drum in it. Looks good, but I need a 55 gallon drum. An old plastic dog house might work too.

Meanwhile, the rabbits are thirsty and the water bottles are in the kitchen thawing in front of the space heater. The shed was so frozen inside I couldn't get the windows closed because of the frost build-up on the catches. I may end up taking the hair dryer out and trying to thaw them. Only to have the temps back up in the 40's in a few days.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Does anyone get the magazine Hobby Farms? There was an article with instructions for making your own warming hut from a 55 gallon drum in it. Looks good, but I need a 55 gallon drum. An old plastic dog house might work too.
Was that a recent issue? I pick it up when I see it, and I plan to get a subscription. That looks like a good idea.

I lost one chicken last night, and all the buckets required jumping on to break the ice - usually I just have to kick them a bit. At least the winds have died down a bit, but the driveway is drifted in - again! We haven't been off the property since Thursday. If they haven't ploughed our road yet, I might not be going to work again today.

Rabbits are learning to drink out of dishes and not tip them quite so often. I'm going through hay for the goats at a phenomenal rate. :grit:

·
Hired Hand
1,670 Posts
9F this morning, -10 with the wind chill. Had to wade through the waist deep snow to get to the hutch. One of the water bottles cracked when it froze. Have to remember to only fill them half way...easier to thaw and keeps them from cracking. Rabbits don't seem to mind as long as they get their food and water. Man, the Rex really have thick, plush coats this time of year.

·
Premium Member
27,863 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was the Jan/Feb issue. It was on Mom's dining room table and magazines don't stay there very long.

I'll be hauling buckets of hot water out to the duck pool whenever I decide to let them out. I hate to lose the little heat they have built up in the shed before I'm ready to carry the rabbits water back out. Not much snow here, just a dusting overnight. Going to be hard on the plants, they could stand a bit of a snow covering.

Hobby Farms mag: the warming hut instructions are in the current issue:
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-farms-table-contents/hobby-farms-january-february-2009.aspx

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Funny thing here, my water bottles all froze so I brought them in, thawed them out and brought them all back out. By the time I finished everyone was drinking at the same time. What a racket thirteen water bottles make when they are all licking that little metal ball in the steel tube at the same time. Same when I bring all of them a block of wood at the same time, you'd think I have a construction site in the garage with the noise!

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I'm reminded as to why North Carolina is the farthest north I've ever lived...and ever will. I hate cold. I would not be able to survive where you are. I liked it best when we lived in Central America. Ahhhh....the tropical rain forest.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts