Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has a broody hen but no rooster. They want fertilized eggs. But they want them all already confirmed fertilized via candling.

That seems rather odd. If I already spent a week or longer keeping them in an incubator, I would want to keep my eggs given the effort I already put in them. If I had a broody hen sitting on eggs for more than a week, I would not take her eggs away from her either.

Also, I do not think the eggs should be taken out for transport for that long (I guess you could do it in an incubator plugged into a car charger).

I just think it is rather selfish for someone to make such a request. Why not take a few extra fresh eggs in case they are not all fertilized? \

Or maybe I am overthinking this ....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Odd but not uncommon I used to ship fertile eggs to the Philippines and guarantee a 8o% hatch rate. I used to breed games form very old time blood lines. I must say I never took them from a bator and sent them. If you keep the chosen rooster with the chosen hen/hen’s the eggs will be fertile. have you hatched from the said rooster before? If so all should be well. If mailing send priority mail it will get there in 24 hr. or less but pack them well. Put fragile and an up arrow in many spots

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I do not have eggs to sell (my hens are still too young) but I am on a mailing list this request came to.

I can see shipping fresh eggs, in order for them to be candled to show a developing chick, they had to already be in an incubator or under a hen.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think that person must not understand how candling works. If it were possible to shine a light through an egg and tell if it were fertilized or not, without incubating it a little first, it would be a totally reasonable request. But it's not possible, s/he probably does not know that.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Some people put eggs in the incubator, wait a week, candle to confirm fertility while keeping rooster and hens together. Then they can say they have a 90% or whatever fertility rate as confirmed by candling, but ship fresh eggs from the same parents. Seems to me that would be the closest you'd come to "knowing" how fertile they are.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,848 Posts
Some people put eggs in the incubator, wait a week, candle to confirm fertility while keeping rooster and hens together. Then they can say they have a 90% or whatever fertility rate as confirmed by candling, but ship fresh eggs from the same parents. Seems to me that would be the closest you'd come to "knowing" how fertile they are.
That makes sense, to explain the term "confirmed fertilized via candling". But it really only applies to the rooster/hens pairing, not the actual eggs that are being sent to the customer. Semantics, I know, but specific wording can be important to understanding and expectations.

I've read about incubating to test for fertility but kind of thought it was a waste of eggs, unless you wanted to hatch some chicks, when it's pretty evident that an egg is fertile when you break it open for breakfast....thus the pairing could be evaluated by looking at the yolks.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, that is interesting. Maybe that is what they were talking about. The way the e-mail came across was that the actual eggs provided should have been candled. Not different eggs from the same parents. Thanks for educating me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts