Isn't it funny

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

the things that become important to kids? My DS (16) cannot remember a Christmas tree that did not have our "lites in motion" on it. The tree that we were given is prelit, and is all solid, colored lights. It's absolutely gorgeous!! He got all upset and asked me if we were gonna put the other lights on it. DH and I told him that we were planning to put them on the porch rails. Nope. They are on the tree!! His logic-it's not a Christmas tree without those lights. I don't know what he's going to do when he grows up and moves out. He's not getting those lights!!.........lol. I wonder what other holiday traditions are really important to him? You can bet I'll be watching him throughout the season to see what he gravitates toward. What traditions do your children balk at giving up?

2. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

Funny story. My DD 17 has to have the Christmas music on while we set up everything. Play the music or no set up. We love this time of year!!

3. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

LOL! Our two hooligans are 13 and 11 and I noticed alot of comments about 'what we do' and what's 'tradition'. Makes me smile that we've given them such memories.

Yep, that Christmas music MUST be on when decorating the tree, cookies must also be baking as well. And this is sposed to happen the day after Thanksgiving lol.

We haven't tried to give up any traditions, yet...although I remember it was challenging to buy a new tree a few years ago, they didn't want to part with the raggedy one we had. We finally got them to realize the old one would NOT stand up at all, those bottom pieces were broken and rebroken beyond fixin'. ( I wanted a new one anyway LOL!)

~~Here's to wonderful memories...and many more!!~~

4. Seeker

Seeker Well-Known Member

There are some things that just have to be there because they've always been there.

I guess that's what "tradition" means, after all.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

My boys, 13 and 15, still insist that the train be set up under the tree each year. After all is in place, they will lay on the floor and watch it run in circles.

6. Melissa

Melissa member

My kids always want everything exactly the same too. We were decorating on Friday night and I mentioned doing a few things differently and you would think I suggested they all cut off their right arms...

7. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Three cheers for family traditions :)

It's great to hear that people might not be able to put it into words but that they "get it" :)

Hugs
    marlene

8. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

When my daughters were small and living at home 'Santa' always put tinsel on the tree after bringing the gifts so that the tree would look all the more magical on Christmas morning ( and mom didn't have to pick up the stuff off the floor the weeks before!) When my daughters came home ChristmasEve I overheard them talking about how 'cool' they always thought that was...fortunately I had found a couple old boxes of tinsel in the Christmas storage box so Santa could continue the tradition!!

9. Dente deLion

Dente deLion Well-Known Member

We're just getting started with the 5-yr-old, so I don't know yet what will become irreplaceable to him; for myself - what meant "Christmas" to me while growing up - there are several:

- we must make popcorn & cranberry garland
    - we must make construction paper loop garland
    - putting Jesus in the manger is the last act before bed Christmas Eve
    - there must be a magazine protruding from the top of every stocking