Isn't he gorgeous? (pics)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Paula, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I think this little bull is the cutest thing. Mom's a Jersey, Dad's a Dexter. He's 3 months old, about 30 inches tall and built like a tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? He could be registered as a Belfair. His maternal grandfather (Jersey) is Bold, his sire is a grandson of Lucifer (sire of a good line of milky Dexters.) We've already got 3 breeds of cows though, not sure we could keep up with working on another one :rolleyes:

2. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking fella. Good job with that one.

BP

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sure he is 3 months old , He is one heck of A bull. .He looks like he might be A good STUD animal.

4. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

He's gorgeous. That's one of the crosses we're looking at if we end up getting a milk cow from a Mennonite dairy near us. Glad to see that it can work out well. :p

5. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

wow, nice lines on this boy, he is beautiful. Very proud standing there.

6. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure he's only 3 months old because I was wondering the same thing and had dh look it up.
    He always stands like that! Like he knows he's something special :rolleyes:

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I can only say "wow!" quite impressive bull calf, seems to have taken the good looks of the Jersey and given it substance and , dare I say, beef :eek:
    What other breeds do you have?

8. PutteringAround

PutteringAround Active Member

That is one great looking little bull you got there.

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Tango, we have Dexters, a couple of Jerseys and some Charolais (sp?) cross beef cows. Around 40-45 in all with a few calves due soon.
    We had a Belfair heifer a couple of years ago that we sold, wish we still had her :Bawling: This little bull would be perfect to breed to her to get 2nd generation Belfairs. The two are totally unrelated.

10. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

Nice little guy Paula. (I'm who bought Paula's Belfair) Betty (dexter/jersey cross) came to us bred to a dexter bull. She gave birth to Benny (an all black very dexter looking, SHORTLEGGED girl) We all love her. She is a silly little thing. I didn't realize that the dexter short leg gene would show up in that sort of cross? I personally like the look. So much so that I bought a lovely, lovely shortlegged bull calf. Elroy is now a steer (he would rather we call him a wee OX LOL) puppy dog tame and at a bit over a year, only up to my thigh. Betty was rebred and gave birth this spring to a little bull. She was bred to a reg. mini jersey (so this last baby is 1/4 standard jersey, 1/2 mini jersey & 1/4 dexter) he is very small with a lovely head & HUGE jersey eyes. He is marked like a jersey, but very, deep rich red with some black sooty edges. Betty was AI'd this year to yet a different mini jersey bull. Benny (her daughter out of Paula's bull) was AI'd to the same bull as her mom. Betty & Benny live next door now. I see them all the time. Betty milks right at 3 gallons a day. I'm looking for red dexter semen to AI one of my own jerseys. The cross makes the most wonderful tasting drinking milk.
    susie

11. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

He is a cutie! Did you teach him to pose for the camera or does he just know he's good looking?

Lynda

12. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

yarrow,
    that's the trouble with the Chondrodysplasia gene in Dexters, it can be passed on, and all the people that used short legged bulls on their cows to get mini animals could be finding this out unfortunately, I'm sure there are plenty of "mini" cattle out there that carry the gene now, sometime or another two of them will get together and people will no doubt experience bulldog calves.
    Dexters don't breed true, but people still use them to try and bring down size, which is fine, but try and use a Chondro. free one for the sake of trouble free breeding in the future.
    Paula, he's a neat looking bull calf, sure takes after the jersey side in looks.

Carol

13. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

He really is a really nice, proportional little bull calf! I think I would try to sell him as a bull before I put him in the freezer. :)

14. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I just wondered if you guys have ever used 'punnet squares' to figure the odds of inheriting a trait, since you were surprised by the short legs on Benny. The cross you describe should have about a 50% chance of short-legged babies.

15. goatwishingstar

goatwishingstar Active Member

Awww! What a little cutie. I just love baby animals! He looks like a keeper!

16. jeff caldwell

jeff caldwell Well-Known Member

paula
    is this bull calf for sale?
    jeff