Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Looks like the taxpayers of that school district will be paying out the wahzoo
for a number of years, to pay off the humungous settlement when the lawsuit
against them is finally over. Or at least there SHOULD be a lawsuit and part of
the details should be that those responsible for teaching this, are fired with the
stipulation that they can NEVER teach again.......anywhere in the U.S. public
school systems!!!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I don't understand -- Why is it illegal for a religion not to be taught in a public school?

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
I don't understand -- Why is it illegal for a religion not to be taught in a public school?

It isn't illegal to NOT teach religion in public school.
What is supposedly illegal, is FOR a school to teach it. Note, that I said "supposedly". According to my copy of the constitution, it isn't in there.

You have to read or listen to the link to know the story. The title of the OP was an incredulous question, meaning, "So, you don't think Islam is being taught in CA schools?"

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
There is nothing in the constitution that says a school can not teach religion, but the first amendment has been interpreted to mean government can not treat one religion differently then another. So if it teaches Islam for example it must also teach all other religions equally.

That is also where government runs into trouble putting up religious symbolism on public property. They are fine as long as all religions are treated the same on that property.

Jim

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
There is nothing in the constitution that says a school can not teach religion, but the first amendment has been interpreted to mean government can not treat one religion differently then another. So if it teaches Islam for example it must also teach all other religions equally.

That is also where government runs into trouble putting up religious symbolism on public property. They are fine as long as all religions are treated the same on that property.

Jim
Yes there actually is. And school accepting federal funds, and those not are rare as hen's teeth, must seperate religious classes from standard academics. All religions.
There is a sizable difference in teaching about religions in a historical manner and teaching religious values, even if thinly disguised as history.
Which difference Catholic schools have managed for decades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts