Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started carving a wood chain today... Something I haven't done in over 15 years and was wondering if anyone else ever makes these anymore.
Anyone else here make chains or other whittling projects or are these things of the past?

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Still carve some fishing lures. I also do not carry a knife on me much to my brother in laws distain.

:D Al

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I carry two knives at all times. I have a 3 blade Old Timer I have had for 40 years and a Case XX that is about 35 years old. I whittle with both, depending on what I'm working on, but also have a Craftsman screwdriver that I've used as a chisel for sixty years when carving birds, fish, dogs/wolves and horses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I loved knives as a kid.... I got stopped by airport security when I was 7 and they were concerned because I had over 10 knives on me ( one being an 8" dagger) as well as flint and firestarters... They made me go put it back in our car before letting me through with just my smaller knives.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I'm not much of a whittler, but I've always loved knives as well. My boys were likewise. I took them to the state fair once, when the oldest was maybe 10. Security at the gate asked the boys if they had any knives (they didn't ask me?) The oldest promptly replied...Yeah, You want to see them? He started fishing all his knives out to show them. Both hands were full. Security kinda chuckled, but we had to make a long walk back to the pickup to leave his knives in, before we would be admitted.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Both our boys whittle and have a substantial collection of knives. Can't take them to school. Can use them in Scouts and home. Oldest started on a detailed walking stick this summer, but due to time restraints, won't finish probably until next summer.
They also like to gather kindling, cut trees into log lengths and split them.

Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love whittlin and carving, I had three of my best knives here on my desk and I caught one of the grand boys using one as a screwdriver, I liked to have cried. LOL.

Hey Travis, good to see you.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you whittle and you're alive, then whittlin' is alive.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
I have whittled some not much in a few years , but knives yup got them carry a knife every day
I encourage any of you who have stopped wearing or carrying a knife to start again I have for the last almost 2 years have carried a 5 inch blade on my side , I made it myself from a blank and made my own sheath it is great for all sorts of things I use it every day more to fix my lunch than anything but for lots of things

carry , I have only had one person ask me about carrying it and it was a person who carries a concealed handgun asking me if anyone evr said anything about my knife , no one has stopped me and told me I needed to take it to my truck or anything like that , I carry it to church , to work , to the kids school where i check in in the office , they never said anything.

I have always carried knives but usually folders , no one ever said anything about a folder either , weather worn on my belt or hooked to a pants pocket with the clip or well they likely didn't see the one in my pocket

when I was young every time we would see a friend of my dads he would ask to see my knife , he would look it over , and almost always smile and reply "very good, scary sharp"

so carry on , lets see that steel and those whittling projects

1 - 14 of 14 Posts