Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some doctors predicted that by vaccinating older people first, that covid-19 would move to kids. Of course the below article blames it on school and sports.
New data from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services shows this dramatic surge is due in large part to cases spiking among children and teenagers.​
According to state data, since February 19, average daily new COVID-19 cases among children under 10 jumped 230%, more than any other age group. The second-highest increase in infections is in the 10 to 19 age group, which saw cases rise 227%. The trends in these groups exceed that of the state as a whole.​
...​
The rise in cases among kids has been evident elsewhere across the country. In Minnesota, people under age 20 made up nearly a quarter of reported cases in March, up from less than 15% at the end of February. Similar trends have been seen in other states as well, including Illinois and Massachusetts. According to the most recent data from the American Academy of Pediatrics, more than 64,000 new cases in children were reported nationwide between March 18 and March 25, the highest weekly total in a month.​

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
The CDC changed the social distancing to only 3 feet with no barriers in schools and also changed the quaratine protocols for school children. With a majority of schools returning to in-person learning under those circumstances and figuring in that kids can have asymptomatic covid infections I am not surprised that school cases are rising.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Sorry Moon River, but bad title! Vaccine causing infection? Not this one (only live vaccines can sometimes do so). Perhaps indirectly, by more people returning to schools or socializing in person since the more vulnerable (seniors, immune suppressed) are now better protected having gotten the vaccine. But that still means OUR BEHAVIOR not the vaccine is increasing infection rates. Now, should we vaccinate kids? As a scientist, not yet, and two reasons: #1 and most of all, not yet tested on kids. Props to those who decide, hopefully with their kids if old enough to understand, to enroll in the studies to decide the best dose for under 18. Hugs to those who decide with their child's doctors that an already ill child needs the vaccine's protection more than the risks of the wrong dosing for their size and age. #2, as you note, young people need it less to prevent dying/ ICU days (evidence so far shows anyway) than older and other at risk people do, so starting vaccinations in the more vulnerable group decreased immediate death and hospital/ICU stay rates.

Now if only younger people had been selfless enough or concerned re their own health enough to follow strict masking and isolation protocols (where they COULD, thanks essential workers!) to reduce spread more that way! However, getting them mostly vaccinated will address the rest of the population's risk, and getting the research done on kids will open their safe access to vaccination against Covid. Are kids getting sicker than we thought they would from Covid? As I told my patients about Covid when I was working last year, I don't know yet, I haven't watched the evening news!

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
It is a false flag to justify giving Wuflu vaccine to children who are unlikely to contract it or be harmed from it if they did.
Exactly. They are playing the same numbers game they have played all along. Look at the published data. Cases are only increasing in about 10 states and, except for Florida where cases have increased very little, every state seeing an increase has been heavily locked down until recently. I like to look at the daily number of tests. It has been true from the beginning that the more tests you do, the more cases you will find. About a month ago we were down to about 1 million tests a day but a couple weeks ago daily testing numbers went back up to about 1.5 million a day for some reason. Test more = find more. It is true that the % of cases being found are in children but that is because most older people who want it have already been vaccinated. Remove one segment of the population from the test group and of course the other group's % will go up.

Reactions: mamagoose

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Moon River, but bad title! Vaccine causing infection? Not this one (only live vaccines can sometimes do so). Perhaps indirectly, by more people returning to schools or socializing in person since the more vulnerable (seniors, immune suppressed) are now better protected having gotten the vaccine. But that still means OUR BEHAVIOR not the vaccine is increasing infection rates. Now, should we vaccinate kids? As a scientist, not yet, and two reasons: #1 and most of all, not yet tested on kids. Props to those who decide, hopefully with their kids if old enough to understand, to enroll in the studies to decide the best dose for under 18. Hugs to those who decide with their child's doctors that an already ill child needs the vaccine's protection more than the risks of the wrong dosing for their size and age. #2, as you note, young people need it less to prevent dying/ ICU days (evidence so far shows anyway) than older and other at risk people do, so starting vaccinations in the more vulnerable group decreased immediate death and hospital/ICU stay rates.

Now if only younger people had been selfless enough or concerned re their own health enough to follow strict masking and isolation protocols (where they COULD, thanks essential workers!) to reduce spread more that way! However, getting them mostly vaccinated will address the rest of the population's risk, and getting the research done on kids will open their safe access to vaccination against Covid. Are kids getting sicker than we thought they would from Covid? As I told my patients about Covid when I was working last year, I don't know yet, I haven't watched the evening news!
Nothing wrong with the title. It says exactly what I meant. There is the possibility, as predicted by several scientists, that starting by vaccinating the oldest first might lead to an increase in infections in children. When the pool of unprotected people shrinks to the young, that's where the virus will go.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
Nothing wrong with the title. It says exactly what I meant. There is the possibility, as predicted by several scientists, that starting by vaccinating the oldest first might lead to an increase in infections in children. When the pool of unprotected people shrinks to the young, that's where the virus will go.
I haven’t seen these prediction. Do you have links?
it seems far more likely that renewed social contact is causing the rise. When you hear hoof beats, it’s likely a horse and not a zebra.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
........ When the pool of unprotected people shrinks to the young, that's where the virus will go.
Viruses are not tourists looking for uncrowded beaches. There is no collective virus organization sending out the word that everyone is to now to move to the young. What nonsense. If children did not get Covid before just because they are young,, they will not get it now just because they are young.

Kids get Covid because they are humans and it is a disease that affects humans. If the children were kept isolated, they weren't getting exposed. Now that they are sent back to schol in large herds and they are no longer required to social distance at school, they are going to get Covid because they are now being exposed to it. It's not because the virus decided to switch strategies,.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
Viruses are not tourists looking for uncrowded beaches. There is no collective virus organization sending out the word that everyone is to now to move to the young. What nonsense. If children did not get Covid before just because they are young,, they will not get it now just because they are young.

Kids get Covid because they are humans and it is a disease that affects humans. If the children were kept isolated, they weren't getting exposed. Now that they are sent back to schol in large herds and they are no longer required to social distance at school, they are going to get Covid because they are now being exposed to it. It's not because the virus decided to switch strategies,.
(y) (y) (y)
Exactly. Viruses are not sentient organisms.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts

Its great to see an actual physician weighing in.

Reactions: Jenn

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Then why is the same thing happening all over the world at the same time?

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
Then why is the same thing happening all over the world at the same time?
Last I heard, there were quite a few countries with no vaccines at all, so if it’s happening g worldwide as you claim, then clearly that disproves your claim.
if this is the problem you say it is...surely you have a handful of links talking about it.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its great to see an actual physician weighing in.
Why, because you both agree? I presented an idea that some scientists have theorized. It might or might not be valid. It makes more sense than anything else I have heard. Have kids gone back to school in large numbers in the last month? Not that I can see. It also doesn't explain why a surge seems to be happening all over the world.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
Why, because you both agree? I presented an idea that some scientists have theorized. It might or might not be valid. It makes more sense than anything else I have heard. Have kids gone back to school in large numbers in the last month? Not that I can see. It also doesn't explain why a surge seems to be happening all over the world.
You have no links back to these scientists you claim have said this.
And yeah, kids HAVE gone back to school in very large number in the past month.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You have no links back to these scientists you claim have said this.
I don't remember where I read it and search engines tend to bury that kind of information.

I know it was discussed in a video by Bret Weinstein and his wife, but they don't do a good job of labeling the content of their videos.

I don't appreciate your insinuation.

ETA: I found the video.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
Have you heard the word variant?
Yes, but clearly you don’t have a grasp at all on what a virus is if you think it’s a thinking entity. They aren’t even alive, really. They inhabit a Grey area.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
I don't remember where I read it and search engines tend to bury that kind of information.

I know it was discussed in a video by Bret Weinstein and his wife, but they don't do a good job of labeling the content of their videos.

I don't appreciate your insinuation.
I don’t care what you think I’ve insinuated. You can take what I say at face value.
Are you aware that the vast majority of schools are either completely or partially open to in school learning?

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don’t care what you think I’ve insinuated. You can take what I say at face value.
Are you aware that the vast majority of schools are either completely or partially open to in school learning?
Since when?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts