Is this worms?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AshleyB, Oct 31, 2006.

1. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

Hello, I am new to goats, and just brought in three, two does and a doeling. The adult does to my knowledge have not been bred, but they are starting to look big around the middle. The left side is higher up than the right side. I am guessing worms, is this correct? Which wormer is the best for dairy goats? They are both dry right now if that matters.
    Thanks.

2. comehomesoon

comehomesoon comehomesoon

Where did these goats come from? Can you confirm that they were not bred? Unlike in horses who get wormy bellies you dont typically see that in goats. I would to be sure take a fecal down to your vet and have them tell you. Some wormers are not ok for pregnant goats and if the possibility is there I would hate for us to missinform you so I would rule out pregnancy and worms via vet

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

The left sides of my goats stomachs was higher than the right side most of the time. It's because of the different chambers.

You probably should take a fecal to the vet to see if there are worms and what kind so that you know what to use if anything.

4. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll do the fecal. They don't seem uncomfortable or anything like that, so hopefully it's nothing.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

ashley every new incoming stock is getting de-wormed at my place because of moving stress. ask the previous owner if they are bred or not and if they are how far they are in their pregnancy.
    fecal is a good thing as it will tell you what kind of parasites you have to deal with.
    good luck with your new goats :)

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Check the inner lower eyelids. If they are pale pink or white they need worming. Bright pink or red and they dont need it

7. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

How's their diet? are they eating the same as when they were with there old owner? Are they eating new things? Have they had alot of treat type foods? When my goats get to much in the way of treats or get out and raid the grain bins they get bloated looking. One side is always higher than the other. I just make sure they have plenty of water and something to stand their front feet on. raising the front of the body at least six inches seems to get them to "burp" up the excess gas. I've found that a couple of log pieces or cinder blocks works great for this.

Liz in NH

8. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

The left side is the rumen (their stomach) and it normally is bigger then the right side.