Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there everyone! I hope this question hasn’t been asked an annoying amount of times (I’m new here).

My husband and I are moving onto 15 acres of raw land shortly and I think I found a spring or a spring branch on it but I don’t trust my experience enough to be sure.

It’s a roughly circular depression with large rocks lining the bottom and it looks like a longggg time ago someone jammed metal pipe down into it and water free-flows out of the end of the pipe. There are two plastic pvc type pipes laying down into the bottom but they aren’t connected to anything, looks like someone was going to start a project and didn’t or maybe random garbage?

My main question is have you guys ever seen anything like this? Any advice is much appreciated!

note: the large concrete pipe I have yet to see anything come out of, even after a rain. Not sure if its a remnant from a long time ago as this land hasn't been utilized in many years.

Spring1.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
That is an artesian water source. The metal pipe enters an underground aquifer where the water in the aquifer is under pressure. When the pressure is released by sinking a water pipe into it (a well pipe), the water flows upward and out, thus creating a pool surrounding the pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is an artesian water source. The metal pipe enters an underground aquifer where the water in the aquifer is under pressure. When the pressure is released by sinking a water pipe into it (a well pipe), the water flows upward.

Oh wow! This is very interesting! Thank you so much for this information. This has been on my mind so much since we will be on the property by June 12th.
Do many people source their personal drinking water from artesian wells?

I know the Department of People Who Make You Sad told me that it was hard to use your own spring because of e.coli and that I should just get public water but I don’t really trust the government so I thought I’d come here to the real sources of experience and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
I believe the water would be find if you could get it before it flows into the exposed pool. In other words, if you could cap that metal pipe and capture that "fountain" of water before the water is exposed to environmental contaminates. I suppose the process would be similar to how they cap oil wells. Once its capped and contained the water could be routed to your home. Many people have water supplies that are under pressure, however the pressure isn't high enough to bring the water to the surface like yours does.

Reactions: NaturalPathMom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, that is very similar to what I was thinking as well. If we could enclose another pipe/pipes onto the original pipe and let it flow to our home site in some type of chamber and let the excess spill off and run back to the stream using added pressure systems. Can one test the purity of water for themselves or does that have to go through environmental services etc?
My hope is that this can be our main source but if that can't happen I would like to be able to at least use it for gardening and things.
Thank you so much for your reply!

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
Yes, that is very similar to what I was thinking as well. If we could enclose another pipe/pipes onto the original pipe and let it flow to our home site in some type of chamber and let the excess spill off and run back to the stream using added pressure systems. Can one test the purity of water for themselves or does that have to go through environmental serves etc?
My hope is that this can be our main source but if that can't happen I would like to be able to at least use it for gardening and things.
Thank you so much for your reply!
It all depends on how much higher in elevation your home is. There may not be enough pressure in the aquifer to push the water very far uphill. In which case, you would have to use a pump to move the water higher in elevation.

Any private individual can have their water tested by a private, and sometimes, government lab.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any reputable sources for tests you can purchase and test yourself? Sometimes its hard to tell what is legitimate or not on the internet. Thank you so much again for you all of your help CabinFever!

·
Premium Member
41,724 Posts
Any reputable sources for tests you can purchase and test yourself? Sometimes its hard to tell what is legitimate or not on the internet. Thank you so much again for you all of your help CabinFever!
I used lots of springs for water over the years. 1st check for critters living in it. If it has normal critters that's a good sign. Frogs, salamanders, bugs etc. then it gets the smell test. If it smells like clean water without chemical runoff that's also a good sign. If it looks good, smells good and isn't killing the natural wildlife I give it a taste test. If it tastes good I'll try it and see. Expect montezumas revenge for couple days, that's normal due to normal bacteria your body is unaccustomed to. Ive never had any problem with spring water after the first few day or two at the most getting acclimated to the "new" bugs. That's just me though. I've been lucky all my life, reckon that's why I'm still alive. Your county health department should be able to get this water tested for you and then you will know what's in it if anything.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
None that I would trust. You might want to go to your state's health dept website. It should provide a list of state accredited water-testing laboratories.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
When I was a kid our drinking water came from a spring like this. It was fenced so livestock couldn't get into it, but other wise open to the air. It provided water for the house, the cattle, and mom's garden. We used to gig bullfrogs there all summer long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used lots of springs for water over the years. 1st check for critters living in it. If it has normal critters that's a good sign. Frogs, salamanders, bugs etc. then it gets the smell test. If it smells like clean water without chemical runoff that's also a good sign. If it looks good, smells good and isn't killing the natural wildlife I give it a taste test. If it tastes good I'll try it and see. Expect montezumas revenge for couple days, that's normal due to normal bacteria your body is unaccustomed to. Ive never had any problem with spring water after the first few day or two at the most getting acclimated to the "new" bugs. That's just me though. I've been lucky all my life, reckon that's why I'm still alive. Your county health department should be able to get this water tested for you and then you will know what's in it if anything.
Yes, my Father was a great outdoorsman and I grew up drinking from various springs and such and I must be lucky too because I've never experienced Giardia or e.coli or anything of that nature. The water smells clean and is very cold and clear plus seems like wildlife really like it. We didn't even know this thing was there (nor did the owner) when we first looked at the property, definitely a blessing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I was a kid our drinking water came from a spring like this. It was fenced so livestock couldn't get into it, but other wise open to the air. It provided water for the house, the cattle, and mom's garden. We used to gig bullfrogs there all summer long.
That is so awesome! You guys are really helping me to stay optimistic, the environmentalist from the health dept made it sound like we were going to immediately die if we used natural water options and it just seemed wrong to me since Ive never had any problems from natural water sources. Of course common sense plays into this too lol

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Springs such as yours are my only water source. I built a spring house over one and "developed" two others (put the pipe in and lined an area with stone). I dammed an area that had three and they're now feeding a one acre pond.

Get the water tested and you'll likely have a free water source that is far better than the chemical laden stuff any "Department" is going to sell you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Springs such as yours are my only water source. I built a spring house over one and "developed" two others (put the pipe in and lined an area with stone). I dammed an area that had three and they're now feeding a one acre pond.

Get the water tested and you'll likely have a free water source that is far better than the chemical laden stuff any "Department" is going to sell you.
I agree. I don't want to have to buy their crap water if I don't have to. I would absolutely love to have a 1-acre pond to fish and play in, I guess I need to start doing a lot of research and talking to people.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
...I guess I need to start doing a lot of research and talking to people.
Do exactly that... don't be afraid to ask questions (and listen to answers... taken with a grain of salt)... use your best common sense and get to work. Not everything is or needs to be as complicated or as expensive as many will tell you.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
If you have watercress and Hellgrammites in the water, you're in good shape. Hellgrammites are a kinda turn off though. Ugly.

Mon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts