Is this true,if so why

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jessin, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

Hey all I've been told by an old gardner that I need to bend the tops of my onions to help them grow bigger. Is this true? Also that I shouldn't leave my onions in the ground after august 1st how come?How long should I let my onions dry before I put them in storage? thanks Jess :)

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I think the bending/breaking of the tops is to help the onion to finish maturing and dry up. The onions will bend/break over on its own when the time is right.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Onions growth is controled by the length of the days. There are long day varieties, and short day varieties. The farther north you are the longer the days are in the summer. In zone 5, onions will mature by August. Whether they are big or not. They will keep better if they are dried really well and stored so air can move through them. Breaking them over helps dry out the tops, but I never heard that it makes them bigger.

4. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

great thanks for answering my questions. So how long should I let my onions dry and where is the best place to do it at?I thought I would lay them out on a sheet in the garage for a few days .Will this work?

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

When most of the tops are down and we are expecting our first frost, I dig the onions, shake off the dirt and move them to the barn. I put up saw horses with boards laying across them. The onions with tops still green are placed so they have the tops hanging off the boards. I check regularly and turn them so they dry evenly. I leave them until I am sure they are completely dry. How long will depend on where you live and the weather. As they are out of the weather I leave them for several weeks or until it is going to get really cold. I then sort and hang them in mesh bags in the basement. Onions that have bad spots or don't look like they will keep long are chopped and put into the freezer.

Be sure your onions are dried good before putting them in the bags or you will have rotting problems. It is not good to ever dry anything on cement. Cement does not let things "breathe". It the biggest mistake people who buy pumpkins early before Halloween make and then they wonder why the pumpkin rotted.

I used to dig the onions and let them dry in the sun as it was supposed to sweeten them but I never saw any difference so they just go to the barn right away.

6. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

I was always told that it was the flower/seed stalk that you removed to get bigger bulbs as no plant energy went into producing seed....and removal by early august may help avoid the fly larva in the bulb...