Is this true? Breeding goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JasoninMN, May 29, 2006.

1. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

I read in a book that goats only breed in the fall when they come into rut. I have a couple of bucklings in with my herd that are about 5 months old. I don't want them to breed any of the does. I will be bringing them to auction in July so if this is true I should not need to worry. Right?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Wrong. While goats breed generaly in the fall, Thats NO garentee that it can't happen.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You bucks can definately breed your does now. Your does may already be bred. Bucks can breed as young as 2 months of age. Some breeds can breed year round, particularly nubians, lamanchas and Boers. Goats "usually" just breed in the fall, no guarantees.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Pygmies also breed year round!

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the female is the limiting factor as to when things happen, if she is in heat and a buck is there they will breed regardless of the time of year, once a buck is a few months old he will breed anytime a doe is ready, regardless of him being in Rutt or not, being in Rutt just means he has more testosterone in his system than normal, but it does not mean he cant breed any other time

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I've not had them(bucks) breed under 7m old :shrug: They'll practice on anything starting at a week old but I've not seem any damage prior to the 7m age in my mostly Nubian herd :shrug:

7. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

What triggers the heat cycle of a goat? Is is the light level? Something in the food? Or just a natural cycle? Is there a way to chemically induce the heat cycle so that you can breed later and kid later in the spring?

Tim B.

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have definitely heard of cases of bucks and does breeding "out of season" at a very young age!
    A few of my goats who are larger dairy breeds are in heat right now. My Alpine started her heats at 4 months of age. I have some Saanen/LaMancha twins and one of them is in heat right now at 6 months of age.
    So I would be pretty careful of leaving even a buck that is anywhere over 2 months old in the pen with open females...

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read that it is the decreasing hours of daylight that induces heat. The resource that I was reading, for professional goat dairies, detailed milking year round by using artificial lights in the dairy barn. I have also heard that a cold snap in the fall (when daylight is already diminishing) will bring a doe into estrus.

10. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

My first Boer buck tagged the whole herd between 4-5 months! Talk about shocked! I just thought the old girls were eating high on the hog and the broom it rode in on, but when they started bagging up it pretty well iced it for me! Then kids were popping out all over the place and we weren't ready! My wife dang near had a cow!

11. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Yep, Boers and Kinders (besides Pygmies) are year round breeders too.

It's the hottest day of the year so far and my Kinder (1/2 Pygmy & 1/2 Nubian) doe is in heat and blubbering after the buck.

Crazy thing.

12. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

daylight, weather, diet, hormones (ie the hormons in the herd not just hers) can all play a part in when a doe cycles
    well fed young does can come into cycle sooner, does that just had a kid and has really great food could in theory cycle soon after haveing her kid and be ready to kid again soon after weening the first, a herd of older does can and often do start cycling at the same time, just like a bunch of women living togather that start to cycle at the same time, young does just comeing into production need a little while to get into the rythem of the herd,

then there are the breeds (or individuals) who only cycle at one time of the year, regardless of all the other goings on,
    and then thoughs that will cycle at odd times just not when you think they should even if you try all the tricks available

13. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have some LaMancha doelings a a Boer that I held over til january and February to get some size on them before allowing them to breed. They were young and I did not want to have them bred to early. So i did not put them with the buck til very late winter. They will be kidding in the next month. They are bagging up now.

I also have a Lamancha who kidded 3 months ago who has begun cycling regularly in the last month and a half.