Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to WalMart while I was in town.They had a Spinning Combo,Med. Action Rod,with a Big Reel.Said good for Cats,Strippers and other Large Fish.Priced at $30.

I was told I could use my Snagging Rod but I'm afraid I can't pick up bites with it being so stiff.

Here is where I'm wanting to use it

big rockpile

·
Registered
823 Posts
My luck with cheap reels, especially from WallyWorld, ain't great. I have a couple of reels that I bought last year that I already sent to the junk bin. If you can, buy a decent reel. I have three that are over 20 years old and working great.

galump

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
NJ Rich
1,239 Posts
Big Rock,

The Ugly Stiks have proven themselves for many years. I fresh water bass fish and don't use them myself. But I don't think you can go wrong buying one of them.

Next is the reel. A cheap reel is just that "a cheap reel" that may not last a season or one very big fish. As was said earlier, a good reel will last years. Put your money on a good reel and a good rod. Many combo sets don't have good reels. I have rods and reels my grown sons want when I'm gone.

Good Catchin' NJ Rich

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well shoot I bought a Rod yesterday that was only 7 foot long.Then I find out for down there I want a 12+ Foot Rod to keep off the rocks when reeling in.

Thing is I was planning on fishing tomarrow.But if I don't I can take this rod back and get a Longer one for about $20 more :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Charlie and I love our Ugly Stik and we go fishing in the Ohio River with them.
Also fish for bluegills, crappy and big cats.I just caught a big bass in our pond on mine .I think you'd like one.-Robin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts