Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting away newly canned peaches and tomatoes, and rearranging the little that's left over from last year's canning. found three wide-mouth quart jars where i canned turkey thighs. i can't remember how they came out of the canner, but now there's only liquid halfway up the jar, so about 1/3 to 1/2 of the turkey thigh is not subjerged in liquid.

is it safe to eat? is it safe to open and smell? the jars are perfectly sealed tight, the meat is not discolored.

i still have time for plan-B for dinner if i can't use this meat.

thank you for helping.
debbie

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Meat quite often absorbs the liquid. When you open it, it should give a good pop. I'd say it's okay, but I too would boil it hard before eating.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
If it's sealed properly, and 'pops' when opened it's ok. A lot of my canned venison and elk is only half liquid... the dry part's are a little chewie if eaten straight... I usually put the dry pieces in a sauce or gravy.

If it doesn't pop, or it bubbles, when opened, I'd trash it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all,
thanks for all your advice. what i did is, dumped the jars in a bowl, took off the skin and removed the big thigh bone and added the meat and what gelled liquid there was to a pot, covered with water and boild, real hard for about 15 minutes. when i opened the jars they had a good "pop". the freshly opened jars smelled okay.

then, i sauted about two cups of chopped celery and a handful of fresh parsley, added the meat and some of the liquid, spiced it up. made a sause with butter and flour and milk, added to turkey, used zanthem gum (sp) to thicken, and put a dipper of "stew" on a piece of bread. it came out good. i'm having my morning coffee. we're not sick, so i guess it's all right.

as far as leftovers, there's enough for tonight's supper. do you think it's okay just to reheat and serve, or should i boil it again? I think the sauce would break down at this point if i boiled it for 10 minutes.
thanks,
deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts