Is this recyclable ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by margo, May 29, 2006.

1. margo

margo Well-Known Member

I buy pet food in cans for occasional feeding to dogs and cats. Is the metal the cans are made from recyclable or useful for anything? Seems a waste.....if not....
    Margo

Afterthought: guess this sounds silly, but is there a market for scrap? I realize the town nearby has curbside recyc., and there is a merchant outside of town that accepts aluminum. therefore, the funny question....

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Yes steel and aluminum cans are recyclable. I separate and crush my cans and throw them in an old car body. When its full, I take it to salvage place. They grumble a little but since its all metal they take it. Some communities have recycle programs but want small quantities with label removed and washed clean.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Most cat food cans I get are the bi-metal 'tin cans' that are recyclable if clean - as is any of the 'tin cans' such as soup, etc.

Some of the more receint ones I've gotten with pull-off lids are aluminumn, and can sell them along with AL cans. Got $50 for the last batch of pop & kittie cans I took in.

--->Paul

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<<Some communities have recycle programs but want small quantities with label removed and washed clean.>>

I leave the labels on, cans dirty. No problems that I know of.

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

There used to be some survivalists, up the the Hawaiian Fern Forest, who flattened the cans, and put them down, at the entrance to their property. It made a heck of a noise, driving over those cans.

THAT'S a memory, that I haven't thought about in over thirty years...thanks.