Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Sep 22, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Our lamancha milks about 1/2 gallon a day, faithfully. Sometimes a bit more, but not much. Well the other day she found some weeds on the other side of the fence that she liked. So I pulled a BUNCH of them and put them over the fence for them to eat. She went nuts on them, happily munching. The next day she was at less than a PINT of milk. I was flabbergasted. Told hubby we needed to figure out what happened. The next day she was back up to her regular amount. And has been ever since. This was about a week ago. Any thoughts, is it possible that whatever that weed was shut down her milk supply for a while? I'm sorry I can't tell you what kind of weed it is, had teeny tiny little white flowers on it though.

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Try it again and see if you get the same results.

4. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

not sure about the heat, could have been, it's around that time. I guess I could try it again, just scared of the what ifs... :help:

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Maybe your neighbor was testing the taste of goat milk...... :angel:

6. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

speaking from personal experience with my own "mammarys :)" certain things can increase milk supply so I don't see why some things couldn't decrease it. I'm particularly interested in this sort of thing, could you give more details or a pic to help identify the plant? and can you repeat the experiment and see if you get the same result? going down a slightly different route, we have always fed horses watermelon rinds for anahydrosis (not sweating) I noticed that eating watermelon greatly increased my milk supply (not just the extra water either, I experimented with plain water comparison) and then happened to run across some info explaining that mammary glands were really just ultra modified sweat glands, that really go the wheels turnin and I am anxious to experiment with my goats when they come into milk.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Here's a thought...perhaps the goat got a tummy ache from too many of the wrong kinds of weeds and didn't produce as much milk the next day. Make sure you don't over do weeds they are not used too. When i feed browse to my goats and feed a new variety, I start them slowly on the new kind and build up over a number of days adding it slowly to the browse that they are used to eating. I don't abruptly change from one weed type to another, i keep it very much the same, day after day.