is this pig okay?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by CountryMamaof5, Sep 19, 2006.

1. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

My male pig was a bit smaller than the other two when we bought them about 2 weeks ago. Well I guess 2 1/2 weeks ago. He is definate more gentle and passive than the other two. The girls are quick to fight over food and challenge each other. The male will come in and eat when they are done. He isn't aggressive. He was always smaller but I notice his growth is slower than the other two. They seem to have doubled in size LOL. I dont know if htey truly have but they are definately growing well. The male IS growing but definately not at the same rate as the other two. I realize a lot of that is because he is more passive.

Now being that pigs dont mind going potty rightin front of you, I have been abe to notice their bowel movements. The two older ones have "normal" ones. The male is not exactly the runs but its much looser and watery. At least when I watched him go yes terday. I dont know if that is his normal. How can I tell if he is healthy? He eats and grunts but he is just passive. Is he okay?

2. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We always went by "curly tails are happy pigs, straight tails are sick pigs".
    Have you thought about maybe worming him? We've honestly never had a sick pig. They're pretty strong animals. But we do worm ours occassionally. You can get a pig wormer at the co-op that you put in the water. That will probably speed up his growth a bit.
    Also, I think males usually will hang back. Females tend to be a little awnery with the males. We have a gilt that started our smaller and she's still a little smaller than the others. Maybe she always will be.
    I'm no expert on pigs, but just a few ideas. :)

3. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Diaherrea (sp?) is a sign of a problem with pigs. I would just watch it for now. If he is eating and appears healthy, his movements should return to normal soon. If not, something more sinister is at play. Could be a change in diet from his old farm to yours? Stress from the move? Give it some time.

4. CountryMamaof5

Well I know he was just being weaned when I got him so maybe its the stress of transitioning. I will keep my eyes on him

BTW. Their tails usually are curly until they wanna spin them around their rears.. LOL its cute when they start spinning them around :p

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

The diarrhea may or may not be a problem. It's reasonable to wait if he's eating and growing. If it's something infectious the others would likely have it too. The gentleness is a reason in my book to keep him as a breeder. He's less likely to hurt piglets and more likely to play with them and protect them, but he will grow slower since he's second at the plate. Others especially those who pen and separate all the animals might prefer a meaner, grouchier disposition since they grow faster. It's up to you.

6. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

We usually will worm the piglets after we get them from another farm. It seems to keep the "runs" at bay.

7. CountryMamaof5

I looked at our tractor and supply and I did not see deworming stuff for swine. I saw cow and horse dewormer. What would it look like ? Maybe I am missing it

8. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had no problem deworming swine with the equine ivermectin, 1.87%. Just dose at the same dosage per pound you would for a horse.

9. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

You may have to ask. Ours is a pellet form, you feed it just like you do the grain. I think it was for only hog but it may have been cow and hog. Pick their brains to see what they offer.

Our co-op knows us well. We let them know how great a job they do, we ask a ton of questions when we are looking for more info and we let them know when they screw up - which is rarely. In return, they make sure to let us know when they have great deals coming up or if someone is looking to buy some beefers, or turkeys etc they send them our way.

10. CountryMamaof5

its back to being okay so i guess he is alright