Is this odd? or "normal"?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Thumper/inOkla., Apr 13, 2005.

1. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I was watching my ewe's a few days ago and both suddenly dropped their noses to the ground and seemed to freeze for a moment. If I hadn't been watching them and both hadn't done at the exact same time I probably wouldn't have seen it. Since them I have seen them repete the head drop from time to time, they seem to be smelling the ground? and they often run afterward.

so, are they just catching a scent? or something else?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

When my sheep behave like that it is usually because something is irritating them. Have you got many flies around at the moment?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My two usually do that when there's a strange dog or coyote somewhere near by.

So I think you're right about them catching a scent.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Sounds like they have a nose bot fly. Sadly, I know about these because we had them up in WA. Your sheep will also sometimes run around with their noses to the ground.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG369/notes/sheep_bot_flies.html

Though the web site says there is no cure, I have used the pink "Swat" made for horses, to keep them from laying eggs in my sheeps noses. I just rubbed it all around their noses once a week during the NBF season. And I wormed every two months.

5. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Mine do that mainly when the biting bugs are out. Drop their heads and listen(?) and sometimes run if they hear the biting fly, then stop repeat, if they don't hear it, they'll start grazing. :)

6. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Thumper...
    It sounds like Nose Bots to me...I had one do exactly what you are describing. The flies buzz around their faces and they know to put their head down or run to keep them from laying their eggs around their nostrils... When my ewe developed a runny nose and made snorting sounds, I knew it was time to call the vet...sure enough she had nose bots up in her sinuses...yuck!
    Presently, there is only one product registered for use for nose bots...Ivermectrin, to control this pest. 0.08 percent oral Ivermec drench
    administered at the rate of 3.0 ml per 26 lbs of body weight - same as we use for worming anyway. Best when treated after a hard frost which kills the bot fly and assures no reinfestation.

7. adnilee

adnilee Well-Known Member

Our sheep do this whenever any type of fly is bugging them. Whether it be horse flies, deer flies or anthing else. I have never seen a sign of nose bots, but we are relatively new and seem to be experiencing every problem as time goes by! Sometimes they stomp their feet when a fly lands on their belly then put their nose to the ground and run a short distance. I think it is just a normal reaction to anything they may think could be a nose bot.