Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bull calf born back in January who was weaned as soon as he would take calf feed well ( I don’t know exactly how many weeks it was) but despite the fact he has been weaned for some time now and given no milk since he was weaned. He still try’s to suckle my fingers, shirt, pants or whatever ells on me he can get his mouth around. Is this a normal thing or is my boy just a big baby? :cow

and is there a way to brake him of it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's normal. Nursing their mother fulfills a need of comfort, security, and protection for any baby. When that doesn't happen, they resort to suckling fingers, clothes, pen mates ears/tails, etc trying to fulfill that need. Can I ask why you weaned him so young?

·
Chief Bottle Washer
559 Posts
It's normal. Some do this more than others. I am not sure how you'd break him of it. I do know that I have had adult cows try to snag a bottle from my hand. Apparently some of them remember for quite some time. One of my husband's friends bought a one yr to 18 month old bull to breed his herd...you guessed it, the bull was seen out in the field suckling a cow. Ha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts