Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Jun 13, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I am really getting irritated at the mama goat because i think she is failing at motherhood but maybe I just dont know what to expect?

She leaves her baby and has no idea where the baby is unless the baby calls for her and she has the worse time finding it. We have to reunite the two every time. She just can't seem to follow the sound well. Her udder is half the size it was on Saturday when she kidded. Shouldn't it be as large now that it is full with milk? is Lucky eating enough? he had a bowel movement on Sunday that I saw, but i haven't noticed anything since. Lucky sleeps most of his day away. When he wakes up he seems starving but i dont see him drinking much. Usually Molly (mama) walks away. I went and checked her teats and there is milk in them.

How can I know if Lucky is eating enough? I see him peeing all the time. I know he is eating something. Could his sleepiness indicate he isnt eating enough or is it normal for newborn goats to sleep a lot? I drove by this farm with lots of tiny baby lambs and they were all following their mamas around everywhere. Molly and Lucky rarely are together.. Lucky is usually sleeping under a tree or in their shelter and Molly is off in another part of the yard. I dont have a fenced in yard. They just roam and have never left the yard. She is usually about 100 feet away from her baby.

I feel like she is so ignorant and failing. Am I right or wrong? what is normal baby goat behaviour? what is normal first time mama with baby behaviour?

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

It is quite normal for the mom to "hide" the kid, and for the kid to sleep most of the time when new-and too nurse just small bits often-it can take awhile b-4 they actually follow mom around.If he is peeing, he is getting enough to eat. My moms will leave them in the shelter, then return throughout the day to check on them-but-they KNOW where they left them,even if it doesn't look that way! :)

3. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

My favorite doe often 'parks' her twins and then they go and decide they like somewhere else better - when momma comes back full and ready to nurse, they are nowhere to be found! I swear I hear the twins snickering when they do that!

It is normal for them to 'forget' - and as to getting enough to eat - if you were a breastfeeding mom, signs are pretty much the same - peeing!!!

Sounds like you are having fun ;-)

Andrea

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The question is whether she is letting him nurse well when he calls her. It is not unusual for a doe to leave a kid napping while she goes to graze. It is a good sign that she looks for him when he calls. And the fact that she will not always let him nurse is also not a problem, but if she does not let him nurse well several times a day, it is. Given what you have and haven't observed, it's hard to say. (Though the fact that he is peeing is also a good sign.)
    Sorry I can't be of much help.
    mary

5. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

I had a kid missing for about 36 hours...or so I thought. I combed that pasture 4 or 5 times on Saturday.

Turns out Isabel knew exactly where she was....asleep in the biggest growth of brambles and briars in the pasture. She was fine when I found her Sunday evening.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been out in the pasture with a flashlight looking for babies, I could retire. I am currently doing an experiment with Lily's baby. He disappears for hours and just when I think I need to go look for him-he bounces out from behind a tree to play.

I think I worry too much.

6. famer_manda

I am much relieved!! At what age do they become more active? I had it asleep under my van once. If I hadn't known that, I would have been afraid of what would have happened had I needed to leave! I am glad he is taking a liking to the chicken coop instead@

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If they are loose in your yard, around your vehicles, it would be good to develop the habit of always checking under and around the vehicles before you go anywhere.

Check the baby's tummy a few times a day. A nursing baby will have a round little tummy -- it will feel firm, even if it doesn't look like he swallowed a baseball (bottle babies often do look like they've swallowed a ball, because they are eating more food less often). Also heft him to see if he's gained weight since he was born. If he's peeing, gaining weight, and has a firm tummy, he's eating plenty. Do plan to vaccinate for CD&T pretty soon, and also to worm him. Did you worm the mom when she kidded?

Kathleen

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sure you know that goats should not eat chicken feed, and certainly will if they can.

mary

9. famer_manda

ooh.. no he cannot get inside of the coop. It is predator and goat proof :p Lucky sleeps about 3 feet away from the coop but it is in an area with some plywood laying up against the tree. Its the "chickens area" but not the actual coop where the feed is.. Lucky just likes to sleep near the chickens but he cannot get to them. If I let them out to free range, he does run after them and bump them if he can with his head :p