Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't go to FM's much. We went on Saturday and there was one stand that had a huge variety of produce and lots of it. They were selling by the bag. Buy a bag for $10 and stuff it full. I thought that was a pretty darn amazing deal. It was packed with people. I was perusing the good and I gotta say, they didn't look great. I grabbed an onion and it was sort of mushy. I didn't buy anything. the price didn't make up for the substandard produce imo.

Why would someone do that? Did they just not store the produce well enough?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Maybe they weren't the growers? Last produce auction I went to was full of people buying on a Thursday so they could resell it at a Farmer's Market. Maybe it didn't last.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I will second what mz said. We go to the produce auction every once in awhile. It is filled with people who sell their produce at Farmers Market or the road side stands you see around town. The owners of the Markets try to curb people just reselling things they buy....but they just game the system by planting a few of each type at their place, not taking care of the plot, and just go to the produce auction to buy what they sell. Not saying everyone does this but a lot of that going on around here.:smack

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd never have thought of that. Hmm. Very interesting. I know like 3 years ago there was an uproar because people at the FM got caught selling produce from the grocery store. Forgot to take a sticker off one. lol

·
Registered
857 Posts
customer drives 23 miles one way to buy cukes and winter squashs from me.i asked the lady-u only live 5miles from the regional market.yes she says,but the last bushel I bought still had store stickers on most!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Where I lived in PA there was a large Flea Market that had two vegetable vendors that reliably showed up every weekend.

Vendor "A" had seemingly high quality fruits and vegetables and charged noticeably less than the local supermarkets. The vendor had nicely dressed, intelligent and courteous individuals selling their produce and was pretty much sold out early in the day both Saturday and Sunday.

Vendor "B" dressed, talked and acted like a slob. He almost always had a boom box repetitiously, and at a very high volume, screaming out the cut rate pricing for his seemingly sketchy produce.

The locals and other vendors would get to vendor "A" as early as possible both days to buy what they needed. The tourists, uninformed and the chronically late would buy from vendor "B" thinking that they got a deal.

The running joke amongst the locals was that if you bought from vendor "B" and had the misfortune to get stuck at a traffic light on the way home the produce purchased from vendor "B" would go bad before you got home.

Vendor "B" only stayed in business because of the tourists that routinely stopped at the market. They were not going to make a 2 hour trip back to the sticks to return over ripe produce.

As with almost everything in life there will be both good and bad. The tricky part is not being dumb enough to go back to the bad vendor for more of the same.

Find a vendor that has good produce and stick with them.

TRellis

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The market where we set up is slowly phasing out the folks that buy their produce at the state market to resell. For now it's just a couple of tables with elderly people who have been doing this for a long time - so I for one would hate to see them run off. I even bought a peach from them because I picked it up to look closer and it was very obviously not been grown local (too big, not ripe, out of season for this are) but they were so helpful I couldn't walk away without making a purchase.

But there there are two or three elderly gentlemen who I could sit and talk to all day because they are such a wealth of knowledge - but sell their tomatoes 5/$1 and huge watermelons for $2 each.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
All the markets I know of in the Central Texas area are "grower only". I had not even known there was anything else until visiting relatives in Colorado. They had one of those "stuff a bag" deals. My MIL raved about it. I went. I saw the produce. I left. Not worth a single penny! I never thought it might be someone reselling! But I have seen stickers on produce at other markets there. Sheesh.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My aunt and uncle get ran out of farmers markets. They grow their own and can sell it for less than what the others vendors buy theirs. At one market, the other vendors got together and bought everything they brought and put it in their own stands. The sad part is this happens in a rural area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My aunt and uncle get ran out of farmers markets. They grow their own and can sell it for less than what the others vendors buy theirs. At one market, the other vendors got together and bought everything they brought and put it in their own stands. The sad part is this happens in a rural area.
I've seen that before, it's pretty common when a vendor under prices their inventory. If those are the $ amounts they wanted though, and it sold out, does it matter who bought it? They could keep going and continue selling out at those prices or raise their prices closer to the competition.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I used to go to a local stand since as far as I knew, the guy got his produce-except bananas-from local farmers and I wanted to buy local. Then I saw him coming out of Wally World. He had run out of something, so went and bought more so he could resell it. I stopped buying from him.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found out this was an actual farm in Colorado. I don't understand...the produce was not nice at all. Yuck!

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
It never occurred to me that people would do it....though it makes sense.. :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
We have an Amish produce auction near us where the FM vendors go to buy their fruit and veggies. This wouldn't be so bad but a lot of that stuff is hauled in here from out of state or even out of country. It's fun to watch them sell and listen. Some are honest and say it is from the auction. Some stand there and lie, lie, lie. It does make it hard for those of us who sell our own produce but our buyers are wise to them and pretty-well have the phonies figured out.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Reselling may or may not be responsible for the quality issues. Seconds happen. Mice chew, onions sprout when they are supposed to be drying, insects infest, and that was just the problems I had this year. But the variety does make it more suspicious that he isn't selling his own seconds. Buying true seconds is good for the environment, those things are wasted if not sold, and if buyers only buy prefect goods the grower has less motivation to do no or low spray cultivation and end up with a higher waste percentage.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
At a local farm stand here, I could have bought a basket of perfect peaches for $25.00, or a basket of seconds for $12.00, or if they had them, a basket of soft peaches for $10.00. Guess which I bought?

·
This is my life
3,864 Posts
we have a 'local' bee keeper that sells his honey at the FM. The problem is he is selling orange blossom honey in an area that doesn't have any orange groves... when questioned he admits the honey is jarred here but he keeps his hives in FL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts